Number Five

Number Five

      By

Lindsay Hardy

“I love you” I say to my ex-boyfriend. Such a huge declaration requires a response but I get none. Instead he bends his head down to mine and grips my head forcefully and slams his mouth onto mine for a hard pressed kiss; one in which too much teeth and lust are being used. I know what he wants and I am desperate to keep him. My virginity is up for grabs and I am willing to part with it just to get my boyfriend to love me.

I will not be the first girl he has taken her virginity from. In fact he boldly declares: “looks like you’ll be my fifth.” Five has always been my lucky number so I see nothing wrong with my ex-boyfriend priding himself on taking a girl’s virginity away from them. So I decide I am ready to face the unknown and bare my soul to him.

We walk to the woods by my house the only safe place we can do the deed. He lays his trench coat on the ground for me to lay on. He lowers his self on me, kissing me passionately while removing our pants. He looks me in the eyes and says, “I’ll go easy because you’re special.”

He slams into me; there is no foreplay to prepare myself for the invasion. I hurt in places I never knew I could. He doesn’t stop pounding into me until he finished the deed. It felt like hours but was only minutes. He pulls out and I ask a question I should have before we had sex, “did you use a condom?” He says, “Yeah, I just threw it over there.” I believe him because I love him and he wouldn’t lie about something so serious. He helps me up and shakes off his trench coat and we start the walk back to my house.

I’ll never forget the barren trees so close to the road where we could have been caught. And the feel of the leaves underneath us as he ungracefully took my virginity. But most of all I’ll never forget not finding a condom on the ground like he said. But I say nothing because I don’t want to lose him; after all I just want to be loved and have someone like all my friends.

He leaves a few hours later with promises to call me. I ask to get back together again but he says no, maybe soon. I wait by the phone for days on end, praying for a call. He never calls me again. I guess the number five wasn’t so lucky for me after all.