No Turning Back

This was it. She'd really done it. There was no turning back now. With only a small pouch of belongings, Kaida joined Maui on the canoe he had dragged out of a cave. Kaida didn't know how to sail, she had never needed to learn since the islanders never went anywhere. They were land-dwellers, not sea-dwellers.

The canoe wobbled slightly and Kaida held tightly onto the middle pole so that she wouldn't fall over. Maui gave her a teasing look as he pushed the boat out. Her wings fluttered slightly, helping her keep balance. She slowly sat down, looking at Maui who, even sat down, towered over her.
"So, where to?" Kaida asked.
"Hmm..." He tapped his chin. "Lalotai?"
"The realm of monsters?" Kaida asked, surprised.
"Ah, you are educated. When you didn't know me I began to worry." Maui chuckled and Kaida flicked water at him, grinning. "All right, all right. No but seriously, we could go to Lalotai and beat up some monsters."
"You mean; you can beat up monsters. I'll kill them." Kaida rolled her eyes.
"Exactly."

Hours had passed of them just chatting, when they noticed the clouds were turning grey.
"A storm's brewing." Maui says, staring up at the sky. Kaida nodded. At least she knew that. It began to rain and the water got more violent. "Hold onto the pole!" Maui shouts as they began to get thrown around. Kaida holds onto the pole, trying to tuck her wings in. However, they caught the wind and started pulling her back.
"I thought you said you were demigod of the wind and sea?" Kaida shouts back, finally managing to tuck the wings in. Maui had disappeared.

Maybe she'd been silly to actually trust the demigod but no-one had ever been so kind or spoken so highly of her. Kaida hadn't thought straight and now she found herself along and hanging onto a pole for dear life as her boat was thrown around.

The wind didn't calm until the next evening, where Kaida, shaking, slid to down from the pole with an exhausted sigh. She was stuck in the middle of the ocean, alone and scared. That was not a good place.

A large rock came into view and Kaida paddled towards it. Jumping off the boat when she was close and swimming the rest. She was relieved to feel dry land again and she wretched, emptying her food into the ocean.

Not long after, a large shark jumped from the sea, scaring Kaida half to death. Mid-air, it transformed into a bird and swooped down to Kaida. Maui. Kaida shook her fist at him but joined him in the air and they flew to the top of the rock.

"Good to see you survived." He says, once he transformed.
"Yeah, no thanks to you." Kaida replies, but there is a playful tone in her voice. She wouldn't admit it, but she was relieved he hadn't abandoned her. He rolls his eyes and shrugs. "If you keep rolling them eyes, I will not roll them back." She grins.
"Alright, alright. Anyway, we're almost at Lalotai now." He gestures to the rock.

Kaida had to admit, it did look funny-shaped. Maui began to shot and do weird gestures with his arms before jumping. The grind began to split and Kaida scrambled to the edge, wrinkling her nose at Maui. Maui just smirked, gesturing at the bottomless pit it had revealed.
"Ladies first," He says.
"Aww, is Maui scared?" Kaida teased, walking to the edge. Heights didn't scare her. She spread her arms, allowing herself to just gently fall.

The wind whistled in her ears and she whooped. A hawk flew beside her, speeding past. She tucked her wings in, speeding towards him. It became a race until they hit water. Kaida followed Maui, who was now a shark, down towards a glowing light.

They fell into another world. One that stunned Kaida.

-0-0-0-

I know it's short and bad and I spent ages uploading it but my mum just got out into hospital so I've been busy.