Chapter Twenty-Three

"Well, you've outdone yourself," Arnold states, beside Royce and Angie. I have my arm wrapped around Oliver, by the piano. Arnold is holding a newspaper in his hands.

"What are you talking about, Arnie?" I chuckle, leaving Oli's side.

"I said it would take you three months at the club to get a cover story. It took you two."

My eyes widen. A large picture of me is on the front in color. It's from last week, a night dedicated to Etta James. I take it from his hands, blinking as my eyes scan the words.

"After tonight, it's crystal clear that Miss Tyler has it all. She possesses everything necessary to guide her to stardom," Arnold states off the top of his head, excitedly. I gape, looking from the article to their faces. Angie and Royce are grinning ear to ear.

"Is this really happening?" I breathe, incredulously.

"It's happening," Arnold says, coming up beside me.

...

"Why don't you come see me?" I ask, phone raised to my ear. I'm alone in my apartment, staring at video footage of Henry leaving the church, beside Richard and his wife. Henry will be married by the end of the week. Everywhere I go, people speak of him. Doesn't matter where I am- the club, the sidewalk, the deli down the street.

What will she wear? Will she have a veil? Will she wear a crown? Will he? Will they have a boy or girl?

Ida hums, sweetly. "Someone quit at the hotel yesterday, under the new management... It's the third this past month. I simply can't leave right now. I'm the manager."

I close my eyes, rubbing my temple slowly. "Alright."

"You... could come here?"

"I have to perform at the club."

She laughs. "I have that cutout of you on the fridge. You look like a star... This is just the start of everything for you."

I open my eyes, tiredly. "Yeah... I know."

The line is quiet and I think about just telling her I'll call her back in another week but I don't. Suddenly, she speaks.

"I saw... that he's getting married this week."

I clench my hands together, looking at the ceiling to try and keep calm. "I know."

"... he's had no contact? Since the flower?"

I shake my head. "No. It's been months... it's over, Ida."

"Fight, Mia. If you want him-"

"I did fight, Ida. He said no. I was still black and blue and still he left, alright? He obviously needed to-to start over."

"... Henry has proven his love for you, Mia."

I look down, feeling bitterness in my heart. "He proved it alright."

...

I open the my front door, finding Arnold at the threshold, holding an expensive bottle of scotch in one hand and chocolate assortments in the other. I blink in surprise, conscious that I'm wearing my pajamas. I've been hidden in my apartment, despairing this day. The last day Henry is an unmarried man. The day before his wedding.

"I thought you may need this," he says, tilting his head affectionately. Already a mess before he showed up, I lose it at the kind gesture, walking towards him. I wrap my arms around his neck tightly, on my tiptoes. His arms come around my body and he holds me as I cry, never wavering.