Chapter Seventeen

"Yes, I know I don't have experience but I have a flexible schedule. I am a fast learner, Mr. Alloway, I promise," I practically plead, following Damien Alloway through his bar.

"The bartenders I hire, Miss Tyler, are certified. They go to school. I cannot just hire you because you have a pretty voice. You have to sing and then bartend. When you can do that, when you get experience, come back."

I exhale. "There's no way you'd consider maybe hiring me as... only a singer?"

He turns, box of bottles in his hands. "No."

"But, I'm worth it," I utter, following him when he tries to get away again. "I can sing anything you want me to. I have an education, a bachelors in Opera. I sang at The Royal Opera House just last month!"

"Which is incredible, really... although I don't know where the hell The Royal Opera House is."

"Please, Mr. Alloway."

He turns to me, placing a hand on my shoulder. "You are a very pretty girl, with obviously a lot of drive. Go to school for bartending and come back, that's all I can tell you... I have over fifty people that have applied for this position- and they do know how to bartend."

I nod, clasping my arm, dejectedly. "Alright."

"Have a good night, Mia," he says, turning the corner so fast, I barely blink and he's gone. I close my eyes, trying to breathe deeply, calming myself as I turn, making my way out of the jazz club. The streets of New York are crowded, I like getting lost within them. I dig into my purse, realizing that running around through interviews, I'd forgotten to eat. My wallet holds a mint and three dollars.

Great, now I have to find an ATM. Just perfect. After six blocks in stupid pumps, I'm literally grinning with relief when I finally reach one. I am completely aware of how pathetic that is. I swipe my card, pressing my lips together. I've got to make what I have last.

I nearly jump to cover my screen with my hands as the ATM processes the obscene amount that pops up. Oh my god. Oh my god. I pull back my hands, slowly so I only I can see.

$102,021.00

Holy fuck. Henry.

I quickly punch to release twenty dollars before pressing on every button to make sure no one can hack my pin. I turn, immediately digging into my purse for my cell, letting the next person have their turn.

My fingers tremble against the touch screen.

Please take your money out of my account.

There's a ding within seconds.

I've been waiting for you to call me. And no.

I growl, shaking my head.

Yes! It's my account!

The screen lights up then. He's calling me. I answer, exhaling.

"Henry, I swear to god-"

"I do love it when you're angry."

"Take your money back."

"It's there for an emergency, should you ever need it."

"I won't need it!"

"Mia, you're lucky I didn't send a bodyguard after you. I do not like that you're back in New York with that man so close by."

"I don't need saving, Henry," I breathe, stubbornly. "I can handle my problems."

"Then don't touch the money. Just leave it there. It will ease my mind and it's not like it's going to harm you to have it."

"Ugh... Henry."