Chapter thirty-six: Calm Before the Storm

Start from the beginning

"Akkey–"
"I'm sure it's fine." He said as he reached for another slice. After chewing and swallowing, he gave me a reassuring smile.

"See?" I tried to smile back. He wasn't fooling me, this never happened before. Not around me, nor around Akihito. He was completely oblivious to what was to come. I have to be prepared for anything, even fighting Akihito. I wonder if he's prepared for anything...

"Hiroomi?" His hand sways in front of my face to snap me back from my thoughts. I smile with my eyes closed and shake my head.

"Sorry, I was just thinking..." His hand flies to my shoulder and grips it hard. I stare back into his brown eyes.

"Everything's fine." He says quietly while leaning in to kiss my cheek. I close my eyes and try to believe him. Has this happened before? I grabbed another apple slice and nibbled on it. Maybe I shouldn't worry.

Akihito moved over and leaned against my body, resting his head on my shoulder. My hand automatically started to run through his hair slowly. I wish we could stay like this for the rest of the week.

"Want to go for a walk?" His voice cracked from being silent too long. I kissed his head and patted his shoulder.

"Sure."

We put our shoes back on and walked outside. The air was humid and bright. Not a single cloud was in the sky and there was no sign of a storm coming anytime soon. Cherry blossoms covered the trees. I still wore the sweatshirt even if I got any looks from bystanders. I didn't care as long as they didn't bother me and Akihito's warmth. For awhile, we didn't hold hands, we just walked along the sidewalk. Cars zoomed past our ears as we continued down the path. The park came into view so we decided to stop there for a bit. The cherry blossoms provided us with some shade on our path.

I looked around the outside of the path. A small plant caught my eye. It was withering, struggling in the shade. Another plant next to it was growing better in the sunlight that shined through a hole in the trees. I frowned as I watched the other one struggle for survival, shriveling in the darkness.

"Whatcha looking at?" Akihito perked up. I stared at the plants one last time and sighed.

"Just a glimpse at survival of the fittest." He blinked at me and laughed.

"You need to lighten up." He suddenly attacked my neck with his arm and ruffled my hair. We both laughed as I playfully pushed him away.

"Only you could do it, y'know Akkey?" His face softens as he gives me a smile. He then puts his hands to his hips and proclaims, "That's what I'm here for." He laughs quietly and becomes red. My eyes start to water as I start to smile. Akihito notices and his eyes widen.

"I didn't think it was that meaningful..." At first, I wondered what he was talking about, but then I felt the my wet cheek. I was crying. His silly words made me lose it. I pulled the sleeve to the sweatshirt and wiped my face.

"P-please don't cry, Hiroomi!" He says while sniffling. This big baby, although who was I to say that? Here I am getting emotional over something so pointless. He struggles to keep his nose in check.

"Alright, sorry. I seemed to have lost my composure over you, Akkey." He then comes in for a hug. He hugs me tightly like I'm about to slip away forever. I hear him sniffle and ramble about how grateful he was to have me in his life. I patted his back and shushed him in his ear.

"Stop, I already know," He looks up from my shoulder with his eyes squinting.

"Why so narcissistic?" He growled. I frowned at him.

"I wasn't finished yet!" Akihito waited with an agitated expression. I sighed and continued.

"I already know because I feel the same way about you." His eyes widened and he chuckled and hugged me again.

"I love you, Hiroomi!" I hugged him back after my heart fluttered. I dug my head into his shoulder.

"I love you, too, Akihito."

Next Update: June 7th