Chapter twenty-two: Half-Knowing

Akihito Kanbara

"So, mother, why'd you break into my apartment?" I said as I set my drink back on the table and glared at her. She giggled and sipped her drink with both hands.

"Do I need a reason to come visit my Akkun?" I twitched at the sound of my nickname slipping off her tongue. She closed her eyes and flashed them back at me, putting her drink down away from her lips. Her eyes were staring into my soul, as if I was supposed to already know. Losing focus, my eyes avert down at her left arm. A bandage wrapped around it four times and blood seeped through it. My eyes widen and I sat up straight.

"What happened?" I asked without a tone. She peeked down at her arm and perked up.

"Oh, this? I saw a yumo while on my way here–"
"You were attacked by a yumo?" Hiroomi butted in. She glanced over at him like he was crazy. She laughed and shook her head.

"I got distracted and tripped, silly. Metal was sticking off from the fence and I scratched my arm. No biggie." She playfully said. I groaned and covered my face. So lame. Hiroomi frowned and slouched back down into the couch. Yayoi licked the liquid inside the cup like a dog. Again, embarrassing. Her obsession with staying in character was starting to get on my nerves. I looked over at Hiroomi who was distracted by other things in the room. I wonder why he was so interested in the yumo...

"So, why did you come?" I asked, agitated yet curious. She shrugged and smiled.

"Just wanted to see how you are doing. Y'know, with you off your leash and all." Her eyes turned soft and turned her focus over to Hiroomi, who was still not paying attention.

"But I see that you are being watched over by your owner." My face became hot and I leaned forward.

"Will you please stop with all these references?!" I screeched at her. She poked her bottom lip out and went small.

"Stop yelling at your mommy, Akkun!" She whined. She could at least act like a normal person in front of Hiroomi, I thought. I crossed my arms and leaned back against the couch.

"But I see that you are being watched over by your owner." Did she mean anything more than what she said? I thought back to the day when we made the decision that I could go to high school if Hiroomi and Mitsuki watched over me.

"You'll have to go with her for now." My mother had said to me, referring to the head of the Nase family, Izumi. I would have never thought I'd leave the comfort of that little cabin in the woods. I never thought I'd be going to high school and falling in love with my watcher. I never thought I would be yumo-free for this long.

"Hiroomi, may I speak with you separately for a minute?" Yayoi suddenly spoke, her words bold and almost serious. Hiroomi blinked and faced me. I shrugged it off and shooed them away. They both headed into my room, locking the door behind them. Huh? What was so important that she had to lock the door? Ugly thoughts entered my brain and I quickly threw them away before I puked.

I heard silent whispers and Hiroomi slightly raise his voice. Waiting patiently was not my specialty. The sound of my fingers tapping against the arm of the couch was growing louder from the empty silence. What are they talking about? It was like a principal talking to my mother after I had gotten in trouble. I couldn't help it when my body got up off the couch and my ear hovered next to the door.

"But he hasn't been out of control in forever, this isn't needed." Hiroomi's smooth voice came through the wood. I raised my eyebrow. They're talking about me.

"I know, I know, but Izumi thinks it's for the best." My mother's voice was low and calm. Izumi? The head of the Nase family? I refocused my attention to the conversation. What is Izumi planning to do?

"But he has me now, I can continue to keep him in check. There is no need to hire one as dangerous as her." Hire who? There was definitely something Hiroomi knew about that I didn't.

"I can continue to keep him in check." His words made me rethink if our relationship was real or not. Could he just be dating me to keep me in his view?

"I'm just warning you beforehand about what Izumi plans on doing. Just be careful. I'd hate for her little brother to get hurt because of this." I heard her move, which made me quietly run over to the couch and fix myself to look like I haven't moved. The door opened and out came Yayoi, along with a frowning Hiroomi. He looked almost depressed.

"Sorry to leave you all alone in here." My mother's cheerful voice filled the room. My gaze didn't fade as I watched Hiroomi sit down next to me. His hair covered most of his face and before I know it, his body falls down and into my lap. My hands fly up and I hear him sigh.

"E...everything okay?" I say, half playfully. He turns to face me upwards and smiles lightly at me. His hands reach up and touch my face. His cold, soft thumb rubbed my cheek gently. My hands automatically fell onto his face and into his hair. I scratched his head and kept my other hand still on his jaw.

"Of course, Akkey." He chuckles and puts both of his hands on my face to play with it. I laugh and try to get away from him mushing my face around. I grab his wrist and try to pry them away.

"Hiroomi!" I laugh and grunt playfully. Surprisingly, my mother didn't make any comments or noises from our physical banter. Hiroomi tried to poke my nose with a struggling finger while I managed to restrain him.

"Fine!" He said and let his arms drop and move toward the couch. He pushed himself up and kissed me right in front of my mother. Because she was aware of our relationship, I let his lips stay attached to mine for awhile. He moved his body so that he was sitting in my lap and wrapped his arms around my neck. That was when I heard it. The "awes" coming from my mother. I glared over at her while still intact with him. He finally dropped back into my lap and giggled. His face was red and his eyes watered.

"I love you Akihito. You know that right?" He said out of nowhere. I blinked and felt my cheeks getting hot.

"I love you too, Hiroomi. And yes, I do know that."

A/n: Surprise! I decided to forward the plot a little before the Valentine's Special [meaning there might be one more chapter before Valentine's o(^▽^)o]

Anyway something suPeR hUgE is gonna happen in da plot so
stay tuned!
☆*:.。. o(≧▽≦)o .。.:*☆