14. Everything ❤

Gardner 🚫

Soooo r u excited about new years???

Riley....

Are u ignoring me?

~ 📱 ~

I toss my phone onto the couch cushions between Lucas and I and he furrows his eyebrows, looking away from Elf. "Charlie again?"

I sigh, running my fingers through my hair. "I just-. I wish I knew how to tell him that I'm not interested."

Lucas sits up, pausing the movie and getting himself comfortable in a position that's facing me. "You just did it. Just tell him that."

"But I can't. I read the texts that Maya sent" I remind him. "I know that she told you he scares the hell out of me and doesn't exactly take well to the word 'no'."

He nods his head thoughtfully. "I do remember but Riles-." He reaches his hand out and wraps it around mine. "That's why I'm here."

My heart swells as I look at our intertwined hands. I wish he could just be my date for New Year's.

I lift my gaze back to his. "Luke?"

"Hmm?" He hums, rubbing his thumb along my hand.

"Would you consider...being my actual date to the party? No expectations or strings attached but-."

"Riles" he interrupts me. "I'd love to." My heart skips a beat. "And in case you hadn't figured this out yet...I don't fly across the country for just anybody." My cheeks flush. "As for Charlie, we'll figure him out tomorrow. Okay?"

I nod my head and rest my head against his chest, listening to the gentle beating of his heart and somehow, it lulls me into an overwhelming sense of calm.

Tomorrow could be a disaster but Lucas would be by my side and that was all that mattered.