Chapter 11

This chapter is dedicated to that girl right up there. Not only is she an amazing writer, but also an Amazing friend. If you haven't fanned her or checked out her work, you should do so ASAP. She is literally my favorite author on this site. :)

Vote, comment, love me.

*Xander’s POV*

I couldn’t believe he did that. Even now, sitting here in my English class, I couldn’t push the shock from my mind. He had kissed me, in school, with almost every kid watching. Okay, I knew it wasn’t everyone, but with the way the news had traveled, and the whispers, and questions, there was no doubt in my mind that everyone in the entire school knew by now.

I had thought people hated me before, but it paled in comparison to what I was enduring now. It was only the second period of the day, but I had already had my locker vandalized by a number of people, received a number of threats, and as many glares as there are eyes in the school. Most of them were from girls, but a good number of them came from the people Eric would hang out with.

The good news is, I hadn’t seen Aaron at all. But, with the way everyone else was treating me, I would rather have him messing with me. June had tried her best to keep everyone away, and Jake helped when he was around, but they could only do so much against everyone in our school.

I couldn’t even begin to imagine what Eric was going through. He’s still figuring out who he is, and I know he’s facing a lot more questions than I am glares. As much as I wanted to see him, I couldn’t help but fear what lunch would be like. If anything, I was probably going to ask if we could go off campus, just to make sure we wouldn’t be bothered.

As the bell sounded over head, I waited for the classroom to empty before I gathered up my things and headed for the door. I had already made the mistake of trying to rush out before, and it ended with me and the ground having a sudden meeting, this time not caused by my feet, but someone else’s.

“Hey kiddo, how are you holding up?”

“Hey Jake, I’m alright. What’re you doing here? Isn’t your class on the other end of the school?”

“It is, but I was worried, and wanted to check up on you.”

I could hear the worry in his voice, despite his best efforts to cover it with a small laugh. I didn’t like this. The fact that he had to come from one end of the school just to make sure I was okay made me feel like a burden.

I kept my head down as we made our way to the lunch room, but couldn’t keep my ears deaf to the whispers and conversations about me and Eric that floated through the air. I felt safe walking next to Jake, but it only went so far. He couldn’t stay around the entire day, and I know people will take advantage of that.

“He’s okay, you know. It’s been tough for him, but he’s managing to keep his anger down.”

A strong feeling of relief flooded my body. I was glad to hear that he was okay, but a part of me still said otherwise. Not that I was calling Jake a liar, but that since he hasn’t ever gone through something like this, he wouldn’t truly understand the internal damage it can do.

“He’ll be a lot better, once he gets to see you. He’s been asking June and me how you are doing and if anyone is giving you trouble.”

“What did you say to him?” I asked, keeping my eyes to the ground.

“Well, we haven’t told him the exact truth. If he found out about the threats and the damage to your locker, he wouldn’t be able to keep his cool.”

Though it sounded weird, I was kind of glad they held back on telling him everything. I didn’t want him to lose control and start fighting with anyone who looked at either him or me wrong. As we turned the corner and the cafeteria doors came into view, we stopped in place, then began to run as fast as we could after hearing June’s voice echo through the hall.

Shoving the doors open and running inside, I stared in shock as June was getting pulled off of someone by Eric, who was telling her nonstop to calm down. Jake had already taken Eric’s place as I finally made it over to where they were standing.

Feeling something grab hold of my wrist and pull me away from the scene, I struggled to get free but to no avail.

“Xander stop fighting me.”

Looking up as the voice flowed through my ears, I immediately stopped struggling and began to follow him without another word. June and Jake were already at his car by the time we had arrived and without any questions, we piled in and drove off down the street.

None of us said a word until we pulled into the parking lot of a fast food restaurant. Turning in his chair and looking to June, Eric asked if she was okay, the quickly recoiled at the look on her face. Anger had twisted her once normally relaxed features into something I wasn’t used to seeing.

“June what happened?” I asked, keeping careful control of my voice.

She sat there in silence, trying to control the shaking that threatened to overtake her. I wanted to comfort her, but if Jake wasn’t willing to touch her, I feared what she would do to me if I did. Turning her gaze to Eric, she nodded slightly then brought her eyes to her knees, avoiding everyone’s looks.

“She beat the shit out of a girl who wouldn’t leave us alone.”

“No Eric, I beat the shit out of a girl who wouldn’t leave YOU alone. She was all over you, and bad mouthing my best friend. There was no way in hell I was going to let that slide. Let’s just change the subject. If I keep thinking about her I’m going back to kick her ass.”

Nobody said anything for at least another five minutes. Finally breaking the silence, Eric’s hand met mine as he asked how I was holding up. I didn’t want to lie to him, but I didn’t feel right about telling him what people were doing. Especially, after what had just happened.

“I’m surviving. What about you? This can’t be easy for you to deal with.”

“I’m alright, I’ve earned a lot of weird questions, but other than that I’ve managed to keep myself together.”

Smiling at me and getting out of the car, me, Jake, and June followed his movements as he got out of the car and began walking to the doors of the fast food joint to get some lunch. Slowing down for us to catch up, his hand met mine as we walked in and inspected the menu, debating on what to get.

“You can order anything guys, it’s on me.”

“No Eric, you paid for our last meal, I’ll handle this one.”

“No Jake, I’m paying.”

“No Eric, you’re not.”

Laughing at their petty argument, I grabbed hold of June’s hand and walked up to the counter. After getting something we figured they would both like, I paid for the food then walked over to where they were standing and handed them their cups.

I couldn’t stop the laughter even if I wanted too. Shock had over taken their faces, even earning a laugh from June. Grabbing hold of Eric’s hand and leading him to a table, I told both of them what we ordered then smiled as their eyes lit up.

“You know, we still have to go back. The day is only half over.”

“Thank you Jake, for killing the moment.” Eric laughed, taking a drink of his soda.

“I’m just being honest. My biggest worry is June, though. She’s going to have to face what it is she did.”

“Do me a favor and stop talking about me as if I’m not even here.” June stated, rolling her eyes.

I tried to listen in on the conversation everyone was having, but I couldn’t get Eric’s voice out of my head. I could tell he was holding back what was going on with the kids at school, but I didn’t want to press him into answering.

By the time we had finished our food, we were already late for class. Loading back into the car and heading back to the school, the feeling of dread that had rested in my stomach began to rise the closer we got. As if reading my mind, Eric’s hand made its way to mine, while June and Jake rested theirs’ on my shoulder, relaxing me almost instantly.

“We’ll be alright, Xander. Whatever happens, we’ll face it together.”

Smiling at his words, I lifted my head up and thanked all of them, then took Eric’s hand once more as he walked me to class.

Vote, comment, love me.