Chapter 18

Lizzy unlocked the potion cupboard and got out a few bottles of liquid. She took a deep breath and told herself, "All right, you can do this. Just take it one step at a time."

"Are you okay?" little Yusei asked.

"Yeah...I think I'll be fine for now." A few days passed since the boy asked if he could help her make potions. The reason why this occurred was because Lizzy had no idea what to do. There were different types of potions to make but the one that she wanted to make she was unsure of. Every time she tried to make the antidote potion, she failed each time with no hope. But ever since the day she talked to William and Ryan, she began to think of how she didn't fulfill her duty as a normal, empathetic girl. She sighed a bit and said, "When I was your age, my love and empathy showed through my magic. It was how I helped people as a child. But when I grew, I learned that my love should be shown through protection, and through that protection there had to be countless hours of training to prove myself worthy. It seems I forgot my original intentions after all this time."

"What was it?" the boy said curiously.

"It was love and to be loved," Lizzy smiled. "You and the others were lucky to have love all around you. James and I weren't so lucky."

"Why is that?"

"Well James' parents hit him a lot when he was younger and not many people liked me for some reason."

"Oh okay....is the potion ready yet?" To this question, Lizzy laughed,

"Of course not, silly! I'm still getting everything together to make it."

"I thought you were done already."

"Nope! It takes time, my little friend. Speaking of time..." Lizzy popped open two bottles and poured it into a bowl, making a hissing sound as the liquids entered the container. "It's time to mix these two together for a little while!"

"Could I do it?"

"Sure! As long as you can reach the counter." Little Yusei puffed out his cheeks and exclaimed,

"I can reach it!"

"Then show me." The boy nodded and began to mix the bowl with a wooden spoon, standing on his toes to reach the counter. Lizzy smiled and got some other potion bottles out and began to mix them into the bowl. "You're doing awesome, buddy! Just keep mixing and it'll be done in no time. Little Yusei smiled and kept mixing the ingredients in the bowl. The bowl's liquid was changing colors drastically until it turned to a translucent color.

"Whoa," the boy said in awe. "What happened?"

"It's magic!" Lizzy exclaimed. "Almost anything can happen. Whenever I mix certain ingredients together, it creates a particular hue. But this is gonna be a special type of potion, so it doesn't have a color until I add a potion I made beforehand."

"What potion is that?" Lizzy grabbed a potion of a familiar green color and placed it on the counter. That potion was the same one that made her friends turn into kids, filled up all the way with new liquid in it.

"This is the one that we're going to add in our little concoction!" the girl said with a smile. "All we have to do is add a few drops and it will change color immediately."

"Wait a minute!" William said, coming into the kitchen quickly. "Did you add the buffer?"

"A what?" the young boy responded.

"A buffer! It allows the potion to not turn salty or acidy when someone drinks it. It's a way to not have an upset stomach."

"You actually know chemistry?!" Lizzy said in shock.

"Of course I do!" William answered. "Why wouldn't I know of chemistry?"

"You barely pay attention in classes......in general."

"Well, sometimes I do pay attention. You just don't see it."

"What does the buffer look like?" little Yusei asked, looking at the cupboard.

"It's a whitish clear color," William said, thinking a bit. "I'm sure it's in the cabinet somewhere."

"I got you covered!" Lizzy grinned with a little wink, holding the bottle in her hand. She opened it and added a few drops into the developing potion. "All right, it doesn't need to be mixed anymore so we just need to put in the other potion."

"Go for it!" William said. The alchemist nodded and opened the bottle.

"Please," she thought aloud with hope, almost in prayer. "Please let this work so that Jack, Crow, and Yusei can return to normal. These three are important to my friends and I, and to this world. We need them here, although they stand before us as children. It's just not the same."

"I agree," a thought said in her mind. Lizzy's eyes widened quite a bit, knowing that voice.

"William, don't invade on other people's thoughts like that!" she thought.

"I'm sorry but you were thinking too loudly! When you're a magician and you think too loud, other magicians can hear you too."

"Right.....was my speech thought a lot for something like this?"

"No, it was great! I think the group would agree with you. I honestly miss going to the warehouse throughout the day and when we would hang out here. But I also enjoyed our time now." Lizzy smiled to herself, thinking of the past month's events. She enjoyed having kids in the house to brighten up the day. However, the time has come to return the kids to their normal state. As she thought of how everything has taken place, a happy tear fell from her eyes and into the unmade potion.

"Lizzy?" little Yusei asked, tugging her shirt. Lizzy snapped back into reality and said,

"I'm sorry, did I blank out?"

"A little bit...will you be okay?"

"Oh yeah, I'm fine now! Now let's get the potion in the bowl." The girl poured all of the potion into the bowl and let her young friend mix it all together. "After it's all mixed together, we have to wait for a few minutes and see the results!"

"What color is it supposed to be?" William asked, looking at the liquid.

"Red!" Lizzy said. "A bright red color. Red and green are complementary colors so it would make sense."

"That doesn't make sense at all." Lizzy sighed and went on her phone, trying to find something that had to do with colors. William and little Yusei watched her, wondering what she was doing to make her point. She finally found a color wheel and pointed at red and green.

"Red and green are on opposite sides of the little wheel," the girl explained. "That means they can work well with each other in a drawing or painting because of contrast. Contrast is basically bright colors competing against each other. Does everyone understand now?"

"Yup!" the little boy answered.

"You paid attention in art class too much," William mentioned.

"But I like art!" Lizzy protested. "It's almost as awesome as reading a book."

"Almost?"

".........Yeah."

"You're a weird girl."

"Well, you're a weird guy!" As the two argued and the young boy laughed at their argument, the potion in the bowl was beginning to turn into a different color. The color swirled around the translucent hue until it turned into the new color, a bold crimson hue.

Yay, this chapter is out! Thank you for reading this far. I really appreciate it!

See ya next chapter! :)