Prologue - Where demons awaken

"It is no nation we inhabit, but a language. Make no mistake; our native tongue is our true fatherland."

- Emil Cioran, Romanian philosopher

Many years after the attack on Mother Base, the events following which put snake in a comatose state, he finally wakes up in Dhekelia SBA Memorial Hospital, Cyprus on February 26, 1984. His movements catch the attention of a nurse making her rounds. She approaches him and asks if he could hear her. When she realizes that he could, she runs to get the doctor. 

Next day, after conducting some basic motor test to see if he's functional, the doctor tells him that he has been in a nine year coma. This, however causes Snake to go into shock as images of his comrades dying, the Mother Base collapsing and Paz exploding flashes by, forcing the doctor and the nurse to sedate him. Before losing consciousness, he notices a flower pot nearby containing four Stars-of-Bethlehem. 

Five days later, when Snake has regained enough consciousness, the doctor explains that he's in a private British Military hospital in Cyprus and gives him a mirror. Snake sees there's a horn shaped shrapnel stuck on his head as well as stitches near his left eye. The doctor tells him that the shrapnel has struck sensitive neural and ocular nerves including his visual cortex and removing it can trigger periodic but severe hallucinations. He then shows X-Ray images of Snake's body saying he was lucky to have faithful comrades and if it wasn't for his medic who shielded him, he would be dead already. When Snake asks about the medic the doctor tells him that they bought his corpse into the hospital. 

As he explains the situation further, a balaclava-clad female assassin enters and silently kills the nurse and the doctor with a garrote. When she proceeds to kill snake with her knife, she is suddenly attacked by the patient lying next to him. After a short scuffle, she tosses back the patient knocking over some medical supplies. The patient tries to fend her off by pelting the scattered medical supplies including a bottle of military grade ethanol that douses her completely in the solution. She then throws her knife to impale the patient and proceeds to choke Snake as the petals of Star-of-Bethlehem float all around. Snake observes her black-brown eyes (the only part uncovered by her balaclava) as he passes out. However, before she could finish the job, she is suddenly set on fire by the patient, forcing her to let go and flee to the window. The patient then throws another bottle of alcohol intensifying the flames that forces her to jump out of the window.

The patient, whose face is obscured by bandages, comes near Snake and Snake asks for his identity. The patient tells that he's is known only by the name "Ishmael" and he's there to guard him under the orders of his old friend. As Snake wonders who it might be, he is given a digoxin injection to help him walk. But since the effect isn't instant, he is forced to crawl while Ishmael ensures that the coast is clear. 

They proceed to the elevator. But the doors suddenly burst open flinging them backwards. Because of the concussion coupled with the triggering effect of the shrapnel pressing against his ocular nerves, Snake imagines the elevator to be in flames and a 'man on fire' like thing walking out of it. Soon his senses kick back and it is revealed to be armored soldier welding a flame thrower that reminds him of Fury from Operation Snake Eater. Ishmael tells him that he'll keep the enemy occupied allowing him to escape. Snake, on realizing he's too weak to fight, crawls on the stairs to a floor below before being thrown forward due to an explosion behind him. 

On waking up on the marble floor he hears a scratching sound and sees the elevator's doors (which was situated across the corridor) moving. Thinking more enemies are coming, he frantically flaps around to equip himself with anything he could grab, but finds nothing. When the doors open partially he feels relieved as he sees Ishmael prying from the other side with a crowbar.