I pushed myself off the bed, and leaned against the wall for support as I got my feet under me. My heart rate picked up as I stepped into the hall, and was faced with the solid wooden door. It was slightly ajar-all I had to do was push lightly, and it swung open.

The room was as I expected-the bed was rumpled and unmade, and clothes were thrown about the floor, in clear contrast to the immaculate apartment below. He clearly refused to let the cleaner in, judging by the state of the carpet and the dust floating in the air. The walls were hung with pictures and newspaper clippings, all connected with tangles of red yarn. I was about to step forwards to investigate, when the elevator door dinged. My heart in my mouth, I carefully pulled the door closed, and walked to the glass rail of the balcony to see who had come up.

"Ruth?" Lex called, stepping out of the elevator. "I brought food. It's from one of the ladies at reception."

"I'm upstairs." I said, and waved down. He jumped, and smiled up at me.

He set a white plastic bag down on the table, and waved me down. "Come down and tell me what you think of my home, hm?"

I limped slowly down the stairs, bringing both feet onto the same step before carefully lowering myself to the next one. It was a tedious process, and I began to wish the elevator ran up to the second floor. It was going to be hard, doing this every time I wanted to go to my room.

"Do you need help?" Lex asked, standing from his stool at the high table. I shook my head, before triumphantly hopping onto the final stair.

"Nope!" I said, panting a little. "What's for dinner?"

Lex pulled out a glass dish from the bag, followed by a bowl covered in cling film. He set them both on the table, and shoved the bag aside.

"Like I said, it's from one of the ladies' downstairs. She knew I was bringing you home today, and...well, she was worried I wouldn't feed you." He looked embarrassed. I grinned, and reached over to unwrap the dishes.

"Rich boy never learned how to cook?" I teased.

"We had a nanny who did that. And I have a cook out at the country house. When I'm here I'm too busy to eat, usually." He sighed. "When I'm on big projects, I live off caffeine and candy. We all do."

The thought of grown men, some if the brightest minds in our city, eating nothing but candy and coffee while working on the most cutting-edge technology made me laugh out loud. It was like doctors drinking soda while telling their patients to lead a healthier diet; an oxymoron.

"Something funny?" Lex asked, pulling down two plates. "Although it is good to hear you laugh. You had me scared earlier."

"No." I giggled. "Yes, you, eating candy while working on huge science-y breakthroughs. What do you guys eat? Gummy worms?"

"Jolly Ranchers." Lex set a plate of pasta and a salad in front of me.

It was still warm-which led me to believe that whoever sent it up had warmed it in the staff kitchen. I would have to thank the ladies at the front when I got the chance-for the clothes, for the food.

"Actually, Ruth, I need to get up to my study. There's been some...developments in a few of my ongoing projects that I need to deal with." Lex stood, looking at his ringing phone.

"Okay. I'll probably head into bed soon, anyways. It's been a long day." I said. Lex smiled, looking distracted, and answered his phone, running up to his study two stairs at a time.

"We've been granted access? Fantastic. Alright." I heard him say, before his door slammed shut. The apartment was silent again, except for the faint sounds of the helicopters that came through the now-tinted window. I closed my eyes for a moment, and then ate quietly, alone at the table.

*

"Get down!" The newspaper vendor shoved me out of the way, a split second before a solid wall of concrete came thundering down. I was thrown backwards, landing sharply on a twisted metal spike. In front of me, a wall of dust obscured what had once been my parent's law firm.

"Mom!" I screamed, my voice raw and terrified. "Dad!"

"Ruth!" Someone was shaking my shoulder. "Ruth, wake up." I jolted upwards, crying and striking out at anything within reach. A strong hand grabbed my wrist, and I shrieked. The room was pitch black, and I couldn't remember where I was.

"Help!" I howled, trying to push myself to the back of the bed. "Someone help!"

A light flickered on-the little lamp next to the bed, and the room was cast into warm light. Lex was sitting on the edge of my bed, his hand pinning my arm. He looked sweaty and tired, as though I had woken him-which, I realized, I had.

"Shhh." He said, as I opened my mouth to apologize. "It was a dream. You're alright."

My heart was still racing, and my back was sticky with a cold sweat. I wriggled a little as I realized he still was holding my wrist, frowning.

"Did I hit you?" I asked, guilt rising in my chest. "Oh god, I'm so sorry." Tears built in my eyes, and spilled down my cheeks, and I dashed them away furiously, ashamed to be crying yet again.

"No, you didn't get me, it's alright." Lex said, and let go of my wrist. "Hey, no, no tears. It was just a dream. You're safe now."

His words only brought on a fresh bout of sobs. My eyes felt swollen and raw as I cried into my hands. Lex reach out and pulled me into a hug, rocking from side to side.

"Ruth, darling, you're alright, you're safe." He kept repeating those words, over and over.

My breath came out in quivering pants, and I shook, trying to calm down. The room seemed to close in around me, and before I knew it, I was hyperventilating again, Frustration and shame bloomed in my chest as I collapsed forwards onto Lex, in the full throes of a panic attack.

"Ruth!" He sounded afraid. "You need to breathe. It's okay, I promise. You're safe here, you're going to be just fine."

"I'm okay." I said quietly, my voice small. "You can go back to bed. I'm sorry if I woke you."

Lex held me back by my shoulders, and studied my face, his eyes scrutinizing every inch of it. I shifted underneath his gaze, averting my eyes.

"I don't think you are, Ruth."

I sank back down in my bed, trying to hide from view. "Lex, really, I'm okay. It was a bad dream. I don't want to be a bother."

Lex pulled the blanket up over me, and patted my forehead awkwardly.

"I'll stay here until you're asleep, and then I'll go to bed. You're not okay Ruth, and I want you to be safe."

I smiled against my pillow, and tried my best to go back to sleep with his gaze on my back.