Bookman and the Samurai

Once upon a time, there lived a grumpy and arrogant prince in a giant castle. Said man never wanted anything to do with his role as heir to the crown. He would rather train everyday with his sword, Mugen, to be a samurai. He was always forced to attend royal balls for the chance to find a nice wife and to have some fun for once.

One night, during a royal ball, a knock came from the front entrance. Wanting nothing to do with the flirtatious girls, the prince made his way to the doors. He opened the door to say an old lady wet from the storm. The lady herself was covered by a brown cloak. She looked up and stared at him in his eyes.

"Please... Let me in... The storm is too rough for me to stay in... Please give me some shelter..." The old lady asked. The prince scoffed and told her to go somewhere else.

"Don't judge someone by their looks, young prince..." Still the prince would not let her in. She frowned as she stood up in full height. The cloak fell to the ground as she started to glow. It turned out that she was the beautiful enchantress. The prince looked shocked but didn't stop glaring.

"You have no heart... You shall be cursed and the only way to break the curse is to find true love. You have until all the petals of the lotus flower fall. I wish you good luck..." She said as she disappeared.

The prince began to see his hands become furry and his body begin to grow. He growled as he looked at a nearby mirror to see a beast. Screams echoed through the castle as everyone turned into furniture pieces. The last thing that happened was the prince ripping his portrait up into shreds as the night was forever ruined for everyone.

~**********~

There once was a boy who lived in a village. This boy wasn't like the rest of the village and had stood out; never part of the crowd. He had the brightest of red hair and the most shining of eyes. Or rather eye. His left eye was a brilliant shade of emerald green while his right eye was covered by a black eye patch. No one in the village knows why he has the eye patch, but that only adds to his strangeness. After all, he's the only one different from the rest of the village. What might the name of this peculiar boy you ask?

His name is Lavi.

It was a morning like any other day. Lavi woke up in his book filled room with the sun hitting his eyes. He gently smiled as he got up and got ready for the day. He picked up a black book and strode out of his house after waving goodbye to his grandfather. He made his way through the town, waving morning greetings to everyone who greeted him.

"Good morning, Lavi! Where might you be heading to this early in the morning?" Asked one of the many shop keepers in town.

"Oh I'm just heading to old man Doug to return a book of his. It's about two lovers whom no one ever thought would get together!" Lavi replied as he took a loaf of bread and left some coins for the lady.

"Sounds boring to me."

Lavi just shrugged and continued on his way to the only library in the village. He bought food items here and there as he finally reached the small library. He walked in and looked around the room for the librarian. He finally spotted him on top of the ladder.

"Good morning Mr. Doug! I'm here to return the book I borrowed!" Lavi said as he placed the book on top of the nearest desk.

"Ah. The only bookworm in the village. Good morning to you as well. So, how was the book?" Doug asked as he climbed back down the ladder. Lavi sighed as he leaned up against a shelf of books. He had a dreamy look on his face.

"It was wonderful! I love the part where the boy confesses his feelings for the girl and the girl replies with mutual feelings. I especially love the part where they ran away from their families just to be with each other... I wish I could have such a happy ending." Lavi said as he imagined what it would be like if he was in such a story. Doug chuckled lightly as he scanned over the bookshelves.