[2] After School

"Wow, it's really been that long since we've last seen you? You've changed so much!" Armin cheered with shrill excitement in his voice. I smiled.

"Yeah, it's been a long time. I can't begin to tell you how complicated The States were. They recently got this new president, Donald Trump? And he's just terrible..." Both Armin and Mikasa hummed in sympathy.

"Well, at least you're back home." Mikasa spoke with her constant calm tone. I nodded and took a bite from my sandwich.

"It's nice to see you two have barely changed a bit." Armin blushed while Mikasa gave a small smile.

"Hey, this is our spot." I turned to see the short guy who's in my homeroom, two guys behind him. One with a buzz cut and the other was tall and looked like a horse. I looked at Armin and Mikasa. Mikasa was too busy ignoring them and eating her food while Armin trembled like an injured dog. I looked back at the trio.

"We're sitting here. Can't you sit somewhere else?" The shortest one's eye twitched while the other two sneered.

Horse face chuckled. "Hey, kid, you have any idea who you're messing with?" I blinked, giving the short and buzz cut another glance.

"One, I'm not a kid. We're in the same grade. And no, I don't know who I'm messing with, so why don't you tell me." This time buzzcut laughed, butting in the conversation.

"Think you've got balls for talking back to us? Get ready to have your ass kicked when you least expect it. Oh! I've got an idea! Since you think you're such a big shot, why don't you meet us up after school, let's settle things." I looked at Mikasa and Armin, watching them both shake their heads.

"No, thanks for the offer, though." A quiet tch was heard from the shortest, a sort of mumble leaving his lips. After that they left.

Armin let out a heavy breath of relief, wiping a few drops of sweat from his forehead. Before I could react, he was already disciplining me.

"Are you crazy?! You can't just talk to them like that!" I laughed softly.

"Why not? Why do they get to talk to us like that?" The two looked at each other and sighed, peaking my interest.

"They're bad news, Eren," Mikasa warned, "just...watch out for them, alright?" Looking at their serious faces, I sighed, and softly nodded.

"Fine, fine." For the rest of lunch we talked about things we've done, memories, and how we've been.

......

Once lunch was over, we said our goodbyes and for some reason Armin hurried off back to homeroom without me. So now I was walking by myself at my own pace while everyone else tried to hurry to get to their classes in time. Zoned out at the sight of my shoes, I bumped into someone.

"Ah! I'm sorry, I didn't see you there." A small blonde haired girl turned around, a soft blush on her cheeks when she looked up at me.

"O-oh! No, no, I'm sorry! I was the one standing in the middle of the hallway." I smiled as a way to reassure her that it wasn't her fault.

"My name is Petra, by the way." Her shyness seemed to suddenly disappear while she put on a flirty face. Or at least tried to. Laughing nervously I ruffled the hair on the back of my head.

"Eren." Before she could say anything else, the bell run, snapping her out of her act. She started to stutter, apologizing even more while she hurried to her classroom.

Nice to know I'm popular in both The States and here. Too bad I'm not interested in any of them, though. Poor things.

I was about four or five minutes late to class when I walked in, everyone's head snapping around when they heard the door open. It kind of freaked me out.

"And where've you been?" Laughing nervously, I apologized and was surprisingly let off the hook.

What happens during the rest of the day isn't all that important, so I'll just skip it. Here I am, walking towards an ecstatic Armin flailing his arms in the air and a serious Mikasa. I smiled and waved at the two of them. In the corner of my eyes I could spot the trio staring me down like a group of vultures. I ignored them for the time being and stopped when I made it to my two best friends.

"Eren! Let's all walk home together, like the good ol' days!" I nodded and ended up in between them.

While Mikasa and Armin were talking about the exams that were coming up, I glanced over and saw that the three assholes were still staring at me. I made eye contact with the shortest, my classmate, watching him as he slowly licked his lips with his arms crossed, leaning against the wall with his leg kicked up against it. I smirked, watching the corner of his mouth twitch.

"Hey, guys, I just realized I promised the teacher to stay after to help clean the classroom. You guys go first, okay? Be careful!"

"What? Really? Mmmm, fine! But tomorrow we're for sure walking home together! Don't forget!" Armin yelled as the two walked away. I nodded and smiled, waving goodbye to them. Once they were out of sight, I turned, finding the two backup dummies wearing the ugliest smiles. I walked over, the two stepping up.

"So, you decided to stay after all? How admirable." I crossed my arms, switching my attention from them, to the shortest. He stared me straight in the eyes. Cold, dark, and intimidating.

"What're all of your names?" The two seemed to be kind of confused, but puffed their chests in pride and started to introduce themselves.

"Jean Keirstein." Horse face said.

"Connie Springer." Baldy said.

I leaned over and looked at the guy behind them. Short, thin, strong jawline, sleep deprived eyes, and an undercut with a middle part. I smiled.

"What about you, shorty?" Connie and Jean, shocked, moved out of the way. Finally facing him fully, I got a good look at his expression.

Everything seemed to darken even though it was bright as can be outside, his canine teeth exposed as if he were gnarling like a dog. Wonder what's his story.

"You'd better think before you let words come falling out your mouth, kid." Pushing himself off the wall, he stepped up. I don't know what the point of that was, considering our height difference.

I rolled my eyes. "For the last time, I'm not a kid. We're in the same grade. And didn't you guys ask me to stay after for a reason? I didn't come here to chat." After I said that the three of them glared, lifting the sleeves of their uniforms. I slipped off my backpack and rolled up my sleeves.

I watched Connie and Jean step forward first, fists in the air, guarding their heads. Good stances, I'd have to admit. But not good enough. I smirked.

"This is gonna be fun."