Chapter 9 - The Encounter

"So, gotten any phone calls lately?" I ask Dave.

He's home from art college, and the two of us are sitting on my front steps like we did when we were in secondary school.

"Yes, actually. Although I'm not sure why you would want to know. It was from Vince Clarke. You know him, right?" Dave asks me.

"Yes, I do. He's Andy's friend."

"Well, he asked me if I was in the jam session last week, and if I was one of the people who sang Heroes. I answered yes. He then told me that he's forming a band and wants to know if I want to be in it."

"So, what did you say?" I ask.

"I said I wasn't sure. Wait a minute- did you know about this? Don't think I didn't see you with Clarke, Gore, and Fletcher at the jam session! Eve, spill it!"

"Okay, okay, I might have suggested to Vince that he should check you out because you have a really great voice..." I admit.

Dave laughs. "You're crazy! I don't have that great of a voice!"

I stare at him in disbelief.

"Do you know how many times I would walk by your house and hear you jamming out to Bowie at top volume with the windows open?" I say.

"That was a phase!" He says quickly.

"Suuure. Every time there's a new Bowie record, you're the first person on line to get it. It's not a phase, you are a mega fan."

"You got me there," He says in defeat.

"So, you gotta take this chance! Even if nothing comes out of it, like you never get famous and never sell a record or have a proper concert, you can look back and tell your grandkids that you were in a band!" I tell him. "What have you got to lose?"

"I'll think about it," he says as he stands up from the step. "I got to go, Susan's bringing her boyfriend home for dinner and I need to be there, as it's a family dinner."

"Will I see you before you have to get back to school?" I ask.

"I don't know, but I'll call you when I make a decision." He says, and walks down the front path and onto the street.

I see Andy and Martin walking down the street. They see Dave up ahead, and me on the steps.

They walk over to me. Andy comes and sits on the steps beside me, and Martin stands in front of us.

"So, did he discuss it with you?" Martin asks.

"Who, Dave?" I ask, jokingly.

"Ha ha ha, Eve, funny. Seriously, did he?" Martin asks again.

"He did, and I don't know what his decision will be." I say.

"Well, we can always go with you as our lead singer." Andy says.

"You're kidding me, right?" I ask.

"Maybe." He says. "But Vince wouldn't be too thrilled so we'd end up going with Martin instead."

"I'm the last resort then?" Martin says, pretending to be hurt.

I like hanging out with them. Andy and I aren't big on PDA, like most couples seem to be in 2017. When I hang out with Andy and Martin, it doesn't feel awkward.

Back in 2017, Jules had a boyfriend named Fintan. Whenever I hung out with them, they just cuddled and I was just there, the third wheel.

I wouldn't want to do that to Martin.

"Mom! I'm popping over to Leigh's for a little while!" I hear Teresa shout from inside.

Fuck! I forgot she was home for the weekend!

Teresa opens the front door and sees the three of us. She looks surprised at first, but keeps calm.

"Hello Eve, Andy, Martin." She says as she climbs over Andy and I to get down the stairs.

She walks down the path, and down the street to Leigh's house.

"That was, um, unexpected." Martin says.