:Genius: Chapter Eleven

Start from the beginning

He told me how Lily was, how everyone was doing back at McCeaths and how the St. Philips where training harder and harder for this years ADEPT tests- the tests six hundred people take to secure a place in the top two hundred smartest people in the world. McCeaths and Philips only cared about the top twenty.

"Daniel has been worried, although he'd never admit it." Mack said, glancing at me sideways. I groaned.

"What is it with you always trying to set me up with him, Linen." I asked, causing him to shrug, grinning at me.

"Hey, what's wrong with setting my favourite student up with my nephew. I need to drop him off on someone." He stated, a smirk forming on his lips.

"A McCeaths and a Philips can't be together, it's almost genetically impossible. It's rare for a McCeaths to even like a Philips." I replied, rolling my eyes at him.

"I'm a Philips and you like me." He replied arrogantly.

"Barely." I muttered, getting off of my seat. Mack held his heart and sighed dramatically.

"You hurt me, you know." He brought his other hand to his forehead and looked into the distance. I shook my head.

"Mack, you're an oddity. You graduated as a UCO from Philips and then went into teaching at your rival school. We all know there's something wrong with you." UCO is what we publicly call spies. It stands for Under-Cover Operatives and some of the spies even prefer to be called that, saying it sounded less like a Bond film and more real life.

I grabbed my bag and headed for the door.

"Goodbye, Miss Bostan. Remember, any detention from Friday you manage to acquire you'll have to deal with me." He called after me, I didn't have to look back to know he was smirking at me, reminding me he was now Head of the detention facility, they had brought this new position in because before the teacher (or in Anton's case, prefect/hall monitor) who had given the detention had to carry out the detention as well, meaning that had to give less out so they would have time to mark work and do other teacher things. Mack had taken it because it gave more money and as he couldn't do the side jobs for the government any more, he had to get all the spare cash he could. I felt slightly bad, after all McCeath had sent him he in case I wanted to blow the secrets of the school, but then I remembered I was remarkably stupid to these people because of his little 'joke', and I felt slightly better.

"See you soon then, Mr. Linen." I replied, lightly pulling the door closed. He shook his head, still chuckling about my getting detention.

At the end of the day I found my self sitting in between Asha and Harred as they had a discussion about whether it was possible that Superman had reversed time by flying backwards around the world. Not that I would have been keen to admit it, but at McCeaths we had discussed this, and I had managed to convince them that Superman had not reversed time, but opened a worm whole that had caused him to enter a parallel universe where time went considerably slower.

"I just think you're jealous of Superman because he can sweep any girl off her feet." Asha said finally, raising an eyebrow, the debate had become so intense that Asha was staring down at Harred. Harred, on the other hand, seemed thoroughly amused, and sat in a relaxed pose. He smirked and glanced at me, I was shaking my head, knowing exactly what he was going to do. Asha scoffed, ignoring both of us as she turned on the television in front of us.

"You may think you're a catch, Young, but you're-" She screamed as she was lifted from the sofa. Harred threw her over his shoulder and slowly spun her around slowly. Some of the other students in the lounge turned to look, some giggling at the sight and others (mostly girls) looked slightly crestfallen, much to my amusement. It seemed Harred was oblivious to the affection of these girls.