I just nodded and turned around. I knew the news wasn't good. I knew it.

We rushed to the palace with soldier. He didn't utter a word. He couldn't meet his eyes with Mother.

"Is he alright?" mother asked.

"I don't know. Let's go before it's too late." what does he mean by that?

I shook my head and crossed the main palace gate with them: my anticipation kept increasing. I could no longer see people scattered around the palace with a smile on their faces. It was strange. Where was everyone? Even the servants, who used to brush away the palace grounds, seemed to have disappeared all of a sudden. The grand temple seemed to be empty. I couldn't even hear the tingling sound of kartal and melodious voice of the pandit. Everyone seemed to have disappeared.

When we passed the fountain just before the main palace hall, I expected us to rush inside. But instead, soldier kept walking and passed the hall. We followed him down the narrow path.

Was he talking us to the grand punishment ground where criminals are supposed to be beheaded? I gripped my saree. No! That's not possible. My father is not a criminal. He has done many services, sacrificed several things for this kingdom. He can't be criminal, right?

I shivered from the alternative possibilities. My mind kept reeling on the worst case scenario. What if Father is punished life imprisonment? Or worst, death? I shook my head desperately to get away from the images of possible future. No matter how much I tried, I was being reminded of those to make me tremble more. My legs started to feel like jelly while walking. I no longer had the strength to keep up.

I looked at mother and the soldier. They had picked up the pace.

I took deep breaths and started to mutter Narasimha Kavach mantra in my mind. Relief washed over my mind thinking Krsna is here. I could depend on Him for the both spiritual and material protection of Father.

The narrow path was surrounded by bushes on one side and wall on another. I guess we were taking a shortcut but it seemed unending. Maybe it's because of my anticipation of knowing the truth.

Finally, I could see people standing on the end of the narrow street. We rushed faster and walked into the group. The arena had been exactly like a stadium you guys know about, only few acres bigger.

My heart thudded loud when I realized my fears had come true. It's indeed the punishing arena, something that I hadn't seen yet. I looked at Mother and I understood she could walk no longer. I took a deep breath and held her hands tightly as we walked among the sea of people. But I guess we weren't the only ones having sad faces and teary eyes. Mostly everyone was crying.

I fixed my eyes on the stage where the criminals are mostly beheaded. I could see a black man wearing dark blue robes stood with a huge iron swords. And then my eyes landed on the criminal that was supposed to beheaded today: Father. He sat in meditation crossing his legs. He had his hands on his knee and eyes closed.

I gripped Mother's hand tightly. Wait, it must be a mistake. Father can't be up there. I started breathing fast as I searched for the King. I found him looking on the ground. He rubbed his forehead but his eyes were fixed on the ground.

No, King must be making a mistake. Maybe I should tell him that he had caught the wrong person.

I left my mother's hand and nearly ran ahead. I passed several people and I think I stepped someone's toe. I could tell that from the yelp I heard in my ears. But I cared less about it. I walked past the sea of people and came ahead.

Only if I could get a chance to talk to the King. My heart was beating fast. I needed to act quickly. I looked over at Father. It has been a week. His body was covered with same saffron robes. But this time, he didn't have ornaments on. Tears started to build up in my eyes. If I don't act fast, I might not see him again.