Lothlórien

The Company now turned aside from the path, and went into the shadow of the deeper woods, westward along the mountain-stream away from Silverlode. Not far from the falls of Nimrodel they found a cluster of trees, some of which overhung the stream. Their grey trunks were of mighty girth, but their height could not be guessed.

"I will climb up," said Legolas. "I am at home among trees, by root or bough, though these are of a kind strange to me, save as a name in song. Mellyrn they are called, and are those that bear the yellow blossom, but I have never climbed one. I will see now what is their shape and way of growth."

"Whatever it may be," said Pippin, "they will be marvelous trees indeed if they can offer any rest at night, except to birds. I cannot sleep on a perch!"

"Then dig a hole in the ground," said Legolas, "if that is more after the fashion of your kind. But you must dig swift and deep, if you wish to hide from Orcs."

"Be careful!" Devin called softly as he sprang lightly up from the ground and caught a branch that grew from the trunk high above his head. But even as he swung there for a moment, a voice spoke suddenly from the tree-shadows above him.

"Daro!" it said in a commanding tone, and Legolas dropped back to the earth in surprise and fear. He shrank back against the bole of the tree.

"Stand still!" he whispered to the others. "Do not move or speak!" There was soft laughter heard over their heads, and then another clear voice spoke in an elven-tongue. Frodo could understand little of what was said, for the speech that the Silvan folk east of the mountains used among themselves was unlike that of the West. Legolas looked up and answered in the same language.

"Who are they, and what do they say?" asked Merry.

"They're Elves," said Sam. "Can't you hear their voices?"

"Yes, they are Elves," said Legolas; "and they say that you breathe so loud that they could shoot you in the dark." Sam hastily put his hand over his mouth. "But they say also that you need have no fear. They have been aware of us for a long while. They heard my voice across the Nimrodel, and knew that I was one of their Northern kindred, and therefore they did not hinder our crossing; and afterwards they heard my song. Now they bid me climb up with Frodo; for they seem to have had some tidings of him and of our journey. The others they ask to wait a little and to keep watch at the foot of the tree, until they have decided what is to be done."

Out of the shadows a ladder was let down: it was made of rope, silver-grey and glimmering in the dark, and though it looked slender it proved strong enough to bear many men. Legolas ran lightly up, and Frodo followed slowly; behind came Sam trying not to breathe loudly. The branches of the mallorn-tree grew out nearly straight from the trunk, and then swept upward; but near the top the main stem divided into a crown of many boughs, and among these they found that there had been built a wooden platform, or flet as such things were called it in those days: the Elves called it a talan. It was reached by a round hole in the center through which the ladder passed.

"Hey, is that okay?" Kitty whispered. "They didn't ask for Sam."

"It's fine, because it's Sam," Devin whispered back. "Don't worry, just leave this one to Legolas."

"Hmm. You've got a lot of faith your boyfriend, huh?" Kitty cooed teasingly with a sly grin. It was so obvious Devin had a crush on the Elf.

"Sh-Shut up!" Devin stuttered lowly, blushing furiously. Didn't she realize they could totally hear everything they were saying?

When Frodo came at last up on to the flet he found Legolas seated with three other Elves. They were clad in shadowy-grey and could not be seen among the tree-stems, unless they moved suddenly. They stood up, and one of them uncovered a small lamp that gave out a slender silver beam. He held it up, looking at Frodo's face, and then Sam's. Then he shut off the light again, and spoke words of welcome in his elven-tongue. Frodo spoke haltingly in return.