A Knife in the Dark

Down in the lowest and most sheltered corner of the dell they lit a fire, and prepared a meal. The shades of evening began to fall, and it grew cold. They were suddenly aware of great hunger, for they had not eaten anything since breakfast save for the Snickers bar, which had been divided up amongst the seven of them; but they dared not make more than a frugal supper. The lands ahead were empty of all save birds and beasts, unfriendly places deserted by all the races of the world. Rangers passed at times beyond the hills, but they were few and did not stray. Other wanderers were rare, and of an evil sort: trolls might stray down at times out of the northern valleys of the Misty Mountains. Only on the Road would travelers be found, most often dwarves, hurrying along on business of their own, and with no help and few words to spare for strangers.

"I don't see how our food can be made to last," said Frodo. "We have been careful enough in the last few days, and this supper is no feast; but we have used more than we ought, if we have two weeks still to go, and perhaps more."

"There is food in the world," Aragorn said; "berry, root, and herb; and I have some skill as a hunter at need. You need not be afraid of starving before winter comes. But gathering and catching food is long and weary work, and we need haste. So tighten your belts, and think with hope of the tables of Elrond's house!"

"There'd better be a big feast waiting for us," Kitty mumbled dejectedly, rubbing her empty stomach. "At least now we know a sure way of losing weight, I guess." Not that either of the girls had felt they needed to lose any in the first place.

The cold increased as darkness came on. Peering out from the edge of the dell they could see nothing but a grey land now vanishing quickly into shadow. The sky above had cleared again and was slowly filled with twinkling stars. The girls and the hobbits were huddled together around the fire, wrapped in every garment and blanket they possessed; but Aragorn was content with a single cloak, and sat a little apart, drawing thoughtfully at his pipe. As night fell and the light of the fire started to shine out brightly he began to tell them tales to keep their minds from the cold and fear. He knew many histories and legends of long ago, of Elves and Men and the good and evil deeds of the Elder Days. It was a nice refresher course for the girls. The hobbits wondered how old he was, and where he had learned all this lore.

"Tell us of Gil-galad," Merry said suddenly, when Aragorn paused at the end of a story of the Elf-Kingdoms. "Do you know anymore of that old lay you spoke of?"

"I do indeed," Aragorn answered. "So also does Frodo, for it concerns us closely." Merry and Pippin looked at Frodo, who was staring into the fire.

"I only know the little that Gandalf has told me," Frodo began slowly. "Gil-galad was the last of the great Elf-Kings of Middle Earth. Gil-galad is starlight in their tongue. With Elendil, the Elf-friend, he went to the land of—"

"No!" Aragorn said, interrupting. "I do not think that tale should be told now with the servants of the Enemy at hand. If we win through to the house of Elrond, you may hear it there, told in full."

"Then tell us some other tale of the old days," begged Sam; "a tale about the Elves before the fading time. I would dearly like to hear more about Elves; the dark seems to press round so close."

"I will tell you the tale of Tinúviel," Aragon said, "in brief—for it is a long tale of which the end is not known; and there are none now, except Elrond, that remember it aright as it was told of old. It is a fair tale, though it is sad, as are all tales of Middle-earth, and yet it may lift up your hearts." He was silent for some time, and then he began not to speak but to chant softly:

The leaves were long, the grass was green,
The hemlock-umbels tall and fair,
And in the glade a light was seen
Of stars in shadow shimmering.
Tinúviel was dancing there
To music of a pipe unseen,
And light of stars was in her hair,
And in her raiment glimmering.