twenty eight

LYANNA STOOD BEHIND ONE OF THE CHAIRS IN THE DINING HALL

LYANNA STOOD BEHIND ONE OF THE CHAIRS IN THE DINING HALL. AS MELISANDRE APPROACHED, LYANNA REMEMBERED ALL THE TIMES HER FAMILY WOULD HAVE FEASTS.

"When we had feasts -" Lyanna spoke, not losing her eye contact on the chair Ned used to sit in. "-Our family would sit up here, my father in the middle chair. Warden of the North. The leader."

"And now, Lyanna Snow, you sit in the middle chair." Melisandre walked closer to the table. "Leader of the North."

Before Lyanna could say anything back to her, Davos angrily strided in, holding onto something. He tossed whatever he had to Melisandre. As she looked at it, tensions began to rise between them. "What is that?" Lyanna asked, looking at Davos, who seemed devastated.

"Tell her." He demanded Melisandre. She didn't open her mouth. "Tell her who it belonged to."

"The Princess Shireen." Melisandre finally looked up at Lyanna and Davos.

"Tell her what you did to her." Davos raised his voice. "Tell her!"

"We burned her at the stake." As Melisandre spoke, her voice began to break. Lyanna took a deep breath, glaring at the red witch as she held onto Shireen's toy stag.

"Why?" Davos broke the silence.

"The army was trapped." She admitted. "The horses were dying. It was the only way."

"You burned a little girl alive!" Davos shouted at her.

"I only do what my Lord commands." Lyanna laughed to herself as Melisandre answered.

"If he commands you to burn children, your lord is evil." Lyanna watched as Davos' eyes filled up with tears.

"We are standing here because of him." She reminded him. Lyanna called bullshit on that. "Jon Snow is alive because the Lord willed it. Lyanna Snow is alive because the Lord willed it."

"I loved that girl like she was my own." As Lyanna listened to Davos, her heart broke. Shireen couldn't have been much older than Rickon. And now the two of them are gone. "She was good. She was kind. And you killed her!"

"So did her father." Melisandre's voice had no emotion in it. "So did her mother. Her own blood knew it was the only way."

"The only way for what?" Davos argued. "They all died anyway! You told everyone Stannis was the one. You had him believe it, and then Lyanna killed him. And he didn't come back. You lied."

"I didn't lie!" Melisandre defended herself. "I was wrong."

"Aye, you were wrong." Davos agreed with her. He then turned to Lyanna. "I ask your leave to execute this woman for murder. She admits to the crime." Lyanna turned to Melisandre, who was shaking her head.

"You killed Shireen Baratheon. You killed Renly Baratheon." Lyanna's heart broke, mentioning his name. "Do you have anything to say for yourself?"

"I've been ready to die for many years." She scoffed. "If the Lord was done with me, so be it, but he's not. You know about the Night King, Lyanna Snow. You know the Great War is still to come. You know the army of the dead will be upon us soon. And you know I can help you win that war."