alive

Anticipation was definitely something that was running through Shane's mind as he was being led to Ryan's room. What the anticipation meant, he wasn't sure.

He had barely managed to scarf down a sandwich from the cafeteria, not that concerned about hunger yet realizing how hungry he actually was once he first took a bite. Right now though, he almost felt like it would have been better if he didn't eat any of it.

Ryan couldn't have been in that bad of a state considering it was only his foot that had touched the current, but he had still technically died at some point. To be completely honest, Shane really had no idea what to expect.

Opening the door to his friend's room was a lot more anti-climatic than he had apprehended. Ryan looked overall okay with the exception of the amount of wires traveling out from him to various machines and the oxygen mask on his face. Also considering the fact that he was asleep.

He walked up to him and pulled a chair up to his bedside, sitting down to watch him. The nurse fiddled with the machines for a few seconds and then left them alone in the room.

It was so surreal to see his best friend lying there as if he was only sleeping when he had only been dead a few hours before. Not completely, but medically dead for at least a few seconds. The lumps underneath his sheets suggested that his leg was heavily bandaged, but other than that he seemed relatively okay. There were multiple different cords coming out from underneath the sheets, some Shane recognized. An IV, a pulse monitor, muscle activity monitors...

Overall, Ryan had a very handsome face. The oxygen mask could do nothing to take that away from him. Shane ran his fingers gently through Ryan's hair, fixing his hair so that it looked as presentable as Ryan usually had it. His friend took a deeper breath, but did not move any more than that.

Shane had all the time in the world to think as he sat there watching his friend or staring off into a corner of the room. He probably had to head home at some point, since he still had work tomorrow. Ryan was the one who had brought him here, so he would have to use his car back. They would probably have to transfer Ryan into a hospital in LA anyways.

He played with Ryan's hand, touching it gently and rubbing his fingers, feeling how alive he was. The scare had only lasted the night, but considering how dead he seemed to be just last night made Shane marvel at the warmth coming from his skin.

There was also the question of what would happen with them after this was all over. 'Ghost hunting' wasn't the only reason they met up, but hell was it the biggest reason. What if this experience shook him, and he not only stops these trips with the two of them together but also deletes the blog documenting all of their experiences? It's not like it would give him bad memories, but perhaps with death so close to his face he would probably retreat and refrain from doing anything dangerous again.

The fingers Shane was holding moved suddenly, and curled slightly around his own. Shane tried to move as little as possible in order to not startle his friend.

Ryan was shifting a little bit, moving his head slowly. Gradually, he began to blink his eyes open, examining Shane's face in front of him. Once he got a clear look at him, he laid his head back completely and shut his eyes again, smiling.

"I'm alive again," he murmured, squeezing Shane's fingers with his own.

"You sure are," Shane replied, rubbing his thumb comfortingly on Ryan's hand, "You were dead for a little while back there."

"I know." He continued smiling.

"Did one of the nurses tell you?"

"No. This is my first time waking up."