Chapter Sixteen- Darkness

Start from the beginning

"James we're here." Jake said.

"Hey how are you feeling?" The Doctor asked. I had never learned his name oddly.

"I'm feeling alright, but I have a headache. I was really scared before because I couldn't see anything and I still can't. Now I'm just upset."

"There is a such thing as being temporarily blind. You're brain has not fully recovered from what has happened meaning the surgery. When your brain fully heals you may go to sleep one night and be able to see again. It may take a week or two but it is a possibility. And remember if your sight doesn't come we can always do another surgery to try to make it come back. You have some really good friends. I know that from them being here whenever they can. They will help you push through this and get through this."

"Alright. I'm just really hoping that it does come back. I need it to come back. I need to be able to run again."

"James your parents have been telling me that you are one of the best runners in the state. You being blind will not change that. You probably know the track so much that you can run it without looking. There are ways around this. You may have to work harder than other people but you can do it."

"I guess that you're right, but it still needs to get better." I said and laughed a little bit. I just wanted to get through this next week and have my vision come back. "Well when can I go back home?"

"You can go back home on Monday so you'll only be in here for another day. It's Sunday and you may think it's Saturday but we had you on drugs so you were sleeping for a while."

"I didn't even know it was possible to sleep for that long. Well I guess I'll just rest and relax for a little bit. Thanks for the help."

"No problem you've been an amazing patient dealing with the conditions that you're in. Most people yell at the doctors and hate the nurses for what happens if they possible go blind or something. So listen to some music, and just get some rest." And then I heard the Doctor start to walk away.

"Wait I've never gotten your name."

"Doctor Slick. I'm serious my last name is actually Slick."

"Well thank you for everything you've done Doctor Slick."

He walked away and I just sat there with nothing to do. "Ryan brought you some flowers. I'm just letting you know." He never told me he had brought me flowers.

"What kind of flowers?" I asked curiously.

"They are tulips and they are blue and pink in one flower."

"Explain more since I can't see them."

"The blue is bright vibrant sky blue and the pink is bright vibrant hot pink. It is the same color as the pink shirt that you have that you love. There are also specs of white in the flowers."

"Can I feel them?" I asked and then Jake put the flowers in my hands. "I love tulips they are my absolute favorite flower. I only told Ryan that once at a track practice when I saw them blooming. He also knew that blue and pink were my favorite colors. I love how they are so soft. It makes me feel happy that something so small could yet be so comforting. Ryan came in here and he talked to me about his parents and his past. He talked to me about why he did what he did."

Jake cut me off "You better not be forgiving him. For what he did do not forgive him so soon. Maybe in time you can but right now I will not allow you to. I know you're a very very nice person. But this isn't something to be nice about." In my mind I could form what Jakes face may look like at the moment. I knew that his eyebrows were furrowed and that his jaw was clenched. I knew that he had his hands on his knees probably and was not looking at me.