Baucis and Philemon

LONG ago,two old mortals named Baucis and Philemon had just finished their midday meal when they heard someone knocking on the door. They happily rushed to the front of their tiny thatched cottage,  for as much as they loved each other , they loved having visitors.

When they threw open the door, there standing before them, were two tall strangers.  One was a very strong -looking young man.

“we've traveled from far away” said the bearded man in a beautiful deep voice.  “is it possible we might rest a while in your home? ”

“come in, come in! ” said Baucis,  and she held the door as the two visitors ducked their heads and entered the tiny cottage.

Philemon rushed to the fire and rake the coals. 

He added leaves and bark and blew hard to make a cheerful blaze.

Baucis put a copper kettle over the flames, then scurried around the kitchen to make some soup.

While they worked, the old couple chatted happily with their visitors, for they wanted them to feel at home.

As Baucis prepared the table,Philemon bathed the feet of the
Visitors and dried them with towels. Then Baucis served many earthenware dishes filled with cabbage  and bacon, black olives, cherries,  garden salad  with endive and radishes, nuts, figs,  dates,  plums, and delicious red apples.

After Philemon poured wine into beech goblets, he stood by the table and wrung his old gnarled hands.

"please forgive us, gentlemen " he said  "for giving you so little. " then before the visitors could protest, Baucis told Philemon to offer their visitors their only Goose!

Tears filled Philemon's eyes  for he and Baucis had a strong affection for their old goose.  They thought of the goose as being somewhat the Guardian of their estate.

But the old man nodded and agreed good-naturedly.  Then he hurried outside to catch the old gander .

The two visitors stood at the cottage door and watched the old couple exhaust themselves as they dashed about their dirty yard,trying to catch the skinny goose.

Just as the goose sought refuge behind the visitors, the bearded man held up his hand and said,  "we are not mortals.

We are gods come down from Mount Olympus. I'm mercury, and this is my father, Jupiter. "

Baucis and Philemon let out cries of disbelief. Suddenly the mysterious visitors were bathed in a shimmering light,  and they seemed to grow larger than life.  Awestruck and frightened   Baucis and Philemon backed against their wall.

Jupiter argued them not to be afraid, but to leave their house immediately and come with him and Mercury Mount Olympus.

"But why? " stammered Philemon.

"your wicked Countrymen will soon be destroyed.  Mercury and I came to Earth to test the warmth and hospitality of mortals. But no one was friendly to us —except the two of you"

Baucis and Philemon quickly gathered a small bundle of their things. Then they leaned on their walking sticks as they followed Jupiter and mercury up a steep hill.

When the four reached the top of the hill, they looked down and saw water covering the land below.

Baucis an Philemon wept for their neighbors. But suddenly they gasped when they saw their cottage floating on top of the water.

Before everyone's eyes, the cottage changed into a gleaming temple: its wooden pillars became shiny marble columns. The straw thatch became gold;the doors,  wondrously carved gates ; and the rough wooden floors, white marble.

Then Jupiter told Baucis and Philemon to make a wish,  for they wanted to relay them for their kindness and generosity.

"We would like to be keepers of your temple that was once put cottage. And we would like to die together someday, so that one of us is not left behind without the other"

"your wish should be granted" said Jupiter.

So Baucis and Philemon became the keepers of Jupiter's temple. And they lived many more happy years together. 

Then on day each began to see changes in the other : Tree bark began growing on their shoulders ; their feet changed into new roots. Baucis was slowly turning into a linden tree,  and Philemon,  in an Oak.

Their foliage spread daily until finally one evening, They whispered to one another,  "Farewell,  my dear! " "Farewell! " and then the bark closed over their mouths.

After Baucis and Philemon turned into trees, their countrymen on earth often showed strangers the great oak and linden tree that grew from only one trunk; and they always recited a line when they hung wreaths on the two trees :

    Those who cared for the gods
        Someday became gods
                  Themselves.

                   •••••••••••••••

Hope you liked the story.  Is it worth a vote?