Chapter 12

(RUBEN)

Ruben watched as Lydia rode into the yard. He crossed his arms over his chest as he watched her avoid his gaze. 

"Where were you?" He demanded as she came closer. Ruben took a few steps towards her as he waited for a reply that would explain her disappearance. Ruben reached out to take the reins of her horse so she couldn't ride away from him. Lydia dropped down to the ground looking pleased with herself.

"I went into town," she said as she took the reins from him.

"What for?"

She gestured to the bulging saddle bags that were dangling off of the horse saddle. "To get supplies for supper."

Ruben felt his temper flare up. She knew that he hated it when she went into town by herself. There was no reason for her to go in all alone. Her place was in the home. 

"You know that I could have gotten the supplies for you."

"I didn't want to bother you when you were speaking to my father," she took the horse into the barn. Ruben felt an excited shiver run through him at the mention of his conversation with her father.

Lydia turned her back on him as she unbuckled the saddle. His excitement disappeared as she turned her back to him. Ruben hated it when she turned away from him when he was talking to her. His arm shot out and grabbed her tightly. When she tried to pull free he tightened his grip. Ruben wondered what had gotten into her. Something must have happened to her while she was in town. He tightened his grip.

"You don't have to go into town," Ruben growled feeling his free hand twitch. He held it down at his side because he didn't want to hit her. He had to keep enough control of himself so that he didn't hurt her. At least not now.

"I am sorry," She said sounding sincere and he let his fingers loosen one by one off of her arm. He lifter her chin forcing her  to look him in the eye.

"All will be forgiven if you promise to not do it again without my permission."

"I won't go into town," she said and he saw her shoulders slump slightly. 

"Now, let's go inside after you have finished with the horse and we can eat. I have an exciting announcement for you."

Ruben felt the excitement bubbling up in him again. He had spoken to Lydia's father and he had granted his request of marriage. He knew that Lydia would be as excited as he was. The joining of their families would be beneficial for everyone. Lydia needed a strong man to look after her and keep her in line. She tended to have a rebellious streak that could get her into trouble. What she needed was a firm hand to make sure that she stayed in line. Ruben would also benefit from the union. He would have someone to work with him. He would also get a wife and a mother for all of the children that he would have. He would be the head of the household, of course, and she would be there to take care of him. 

Ruben could already imagine all of the jealous glances and glares from the other men in town. It was no secret that Lydia was beautiful. Once she had some training and learned to behave herself she would be absolutely perfect. Ruben could already picture her on his arm as they strolled through the town. Ruben let his thoughts run as Lydia finished up with her chores. 

Once she was finished he followed her into the house and sat down at the table. 

"What exciting news did you want to tell me?"

"I'll tell you when your father comes in for dinner."

"I have something to tell you as well."

"What is it?"