Act 001: Spring Of The Dead

﹂✧﹁

Mister Nakamura droned on and on about statistics at the front of the class but my mind hardly registered his words. I was more interested in the cool breeze against my skin and the traffic out on the road in front of our school.

"Miss Komuro? Are you feeling okay?"

I turned my head lazily to the front of the classroom and a plastic smile graced my features. "Forgive me, sir, I'm actually feeling a bit faint." I said in soft voice, my tone sheepish.

The old math teacher pushed his glasses up on his nose and nodded in understanding, "Would you like someone to take you to the nurse's office?" He asked caringly.
His tone almost made me feel bad for fibbing. Almost.

I smiled politely at him and said, "It's no trouble really, I don't want to be a bother." I stood and gathered my things slowly, feigning weariness. Once I had everything, I smiled at the concerned teacher reassuringly and left the classroom. The smile fell away as soon as the door closed behind me and I let out a sigh.

Strands of hair, the color of straw fell into my olive green eyes as I walked toward the nurse's office. I shook my head slightly to remove them before brushing a few silky strands away from my cheek to behind my ear.

Perhaps I should introduce myself, yes?

I'm a second year student at Fujimi Boarding School, class A. My name, is Takane Komuro. Well - my new name anyway. My real name is Aiko Yamada. When I was adopted, I decided a new start was needed so I asked them to change it for me.

My 'brother' Takashi Komuro is also a second year student here, but he's in class B. That's a good thing too because I can't stand the sight of him.
Is that harsh of me? Maybe. However he need not look any further than himself and his annoying love interest, Rei Miyamoto, for the reason why.

Some might say I'm unreasonable for the way I feel, and that may be so. However, there is more to the story than just a slighted foster sister...

As I walked down the open corridor, I was pulled out of my thoughts by a commotion in the schoolyard near the gates. A businessman was trying to get in and some teachers were putting a stop to his advance.

'Probably some salesman or something,' I thought to myself carelessly.

I gave an uncaring shrug and continued on my way. Perhaps if I'd stopped and actually paid attention that time, I might have realised something was going on sooner; maybe a few lives could have been saved too...

***

"Are you eating on time?" Shizuka Marikawa questioned sternly as she checked my blood pressure. Her normally flowing blonde hair was tied up as she worked and her lab coat was a pristine white that never seemed to get even a speck of dust on it.

"Yes, Shizuka," I answered routinely, a small amused smile on my face as she attempted to act professionally.

"Good. And you're sleeping?" She asked, her eyebrow twitching, no doubt with the effort it was taking to keep her expression stern and no-nonsense.

I rolled my eyes in exasperation, "Yes, yes, I'm eating, sleeping and breathing like a normal person!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands up, "Can I please go now, Nurse Stern?"

Shizuka deflated slightly before pouting. "Come on, Aikoko! I was really trying that time!" She whined childishly, her shoulders hunching over as she hung her head.