Eagles Chapter 1

Prologue

I sit there, staring at the ceiling. The fluorescent lights flicker slightly, and a fly buzzes around, not caring if he distracts, not caring if he bothers, only caring that there is a bright light in front of him that he has to fly to.

I was just the opposite of that fly.

I was a planner; I did nothing on instinct or for survival, only for what I had planned. I looked for only what I knew, and I indulged no one with stories of my life. For what has happened in my life would challenge any inkling of imagination in anyone. I am not ready to risk that. Until now.

This is the story of how I became that fly.

CHAPTER 1

The Bookworm and the Butterfly

It was only a year ago that I was sitting in algebra II, a senior, only needing to pass that one class to graduate. I was staring at the grains in the desk, wondering when I would ever get to leave, wondering if there was anything bigger than what I thought outside the town where I lived. It was there, in that desk on that normal day, where, like normal, I felt myself getting drowsy. My eyes began to water from the light coming from the projector, reflecting off the white board and irritating my eyes. I closed my eyes then, blocking out the chatter of the monotone teacher, the faint hum of the projector, and the flickering light above me. There, in my wooden seat, surrounded by many drooling faces and glassy eyes, I fell asleep, happily welcoming my dreams, because only they could relieve me from the depths of confusion I was hostage to.

I woke up at the end of class to the bell and decided scribbled down the homework just in case I had free time that night. I walked out rubbing my eyes, not fully awake until later that day, when it was time to go home.

I was walking, more like dragging myself, down the hallway to the doors that would eventually lead the parking lot, when I heard loud footsteps behind me, and a deep voice that I recognized fairly well. "Hey Rose, do you want to see a movie with me tonight? You can choose what we would see, but I think that new movie about those giant bird things looks cool."

I turned around to look at the culprit. It was Ben, one of the most abnormal people in the whole school, and that was saying a lot, because many of the kids were abnormal here. I decided to answer with my normal comeback. "No way, like I'd ever go out with a creep like you, especially because you're already going out with Ming."

I didn't like to think I was snobby, I just thought myself truthful. After all, my day did not have time for movies with idiot boys.

Reluctantly, Ben nodded, his sea-green eyes pierced me and for a moment I thought I saw them flash black, but in the same moment he was turning away, flipping his wavy blonde hair at me and muttering something that looked like a curse and the word marriage under his breath.

When he was finally gone, and I could move on to the doors, I heard another pair of footsteps behind me. When I again turn around, I am face to face with my friend Belle. She looks gorgeous as normal, her black hair falling over shoulders like a waterfall, and her tall, lean, model figure towering over me slightly. "Hey!" she says to me happily.

"Hey," I say back, slightly cheered by her optimism.

"So, I'm having a get together at my house tonight with everyone, you coming?" she asked me quizzically, looking at me with her dark gray eyes that normally got every inch of every secret out of everyone.

As much as I would've like to go, I knew I couldn't. "Oh gosh, I'd love to, but I can't, I have like three tests tomorrow and homework and stuff, but yeah, I don't have time, sorry, maybe some other time," I stuttered.