Chapter 6

Lilibeth's POV:

Leilani where are you? I scanned the surrounding area, searching for Leilani's presence in the near woods. My pack! The pack was laying on the ground, indicating it had been searched. I rushed over, my eyes squinting in the moonlight. My hand blindly tore through my belongings, trying to sense my notebook. All my plans were in there. Plans that Leilani couldn't see. I checked every pocket. I grabbed my cold metal flashlight and flipped the black switch. The harsh beam of light illuminated my pack, and the image of everything was immensely clearer. It finally hit me, like a giant wave crashing down. Drowning everything in sight, the wave pulled me and spun me, bobbing my brains left and right. Leilani looked through my pack. Once she found the notebook, she looked through the pages. After the first mindless sketches, she pondered on. Once she flipped that last bluff page, she came upon my plan sent by the Black Caste. That was the group I was apart of. The plan was cold. The plan was bloodcurdling to anyone that came upon it. Tears flowed down my face, but only a mere sniffle made noise in the barren prairie. I was doleful, regretting my choices. Before I had met Leilani I thought she was odious and sickening. Then, I actually met the princess. She was kind-hearted and a very innocent person. She was courageous and more. But it was me in fact, that was the harrowing one, I was the abhorrent person. I planned to kill Leilani. I had planned to murder her in front of broadcasts, so that the Black Caste would be the most intimidating group on all of Earth. I would never kill Leilani now. Not in a million centennials. Now, I have lost her. Just like I lost my mother.

Lilibeth's Flashback:

Finn lied on my shoulder, his breathing moving his chest up and down. He was cold and shivering last night, so my little brother came into my bed. I checked my mother's room. Her boyfriend, Caspian, was usually there with her. They would punish me for asking if I could light the fireplace. I knew we couldn't afford the firewood, but poor Finn was cool as ice. Mother and Caspian weren't there. Their bedroom was a mess, the usual. I walked to our small kitchen, and they weren't there. Instead, there was a small piece of paper. It was labeled, "Dear Lilibeth." The letter continued down the napkin. "This is Caspian. Your mother and I have run away. We no longer wish to have the burden of taking care of you and your worthless little brother. I have convinced your mother that we are never coming back. It seems cold, but you will understand later in life. I never loved you kids. Your mother might have, but she is gone now. Goodbye Lilibeth, tell Finn that he better grow up, and quick." I tucked the napkin away in a drawer. I wanted to rip it up! I stormed out of the house. Running away. Finn was my only family, there was nowhere to run. Finn! What am I going to tell him? That his mother abandoned him? That our survival rate is low? That his education might have to be cut short? I cried in the bathroom, throwing up the little food I had. I saw the knife lying on the kitchen countertop. One slit couldn't hurt, could it? I let out a sigh of relief as the fresh blood dripped into the rotting shower. What was that? I heard Finn rustling in his bed. I took a rag and soaked up the blood. "Good Morning Finn.", I pushed out of my sore throat. He rubbed his eyes. I gave him a hug. I couldn't bare to see him feel the same pain as me, not now at least. "Go back to sleep.", I said. "Where's Mom?", Finn asked. "I don't know. But they cancelled schooling for today due to.... a teacher's workday.", I replied, ferociously lying. "I don't remember hearing about that.", poor Finn replied. "It's early, and you need the rest, just go back to bed Finn.", I said. My little brother was tired anyways. Hopefully he would get some rest before I told him the news.

Lilibeth's POV:

What time is it? Leilani couldn't have gotten too far. How long was I even out for? Where would Leilani go? I stooped to the ground, checking for footprints. The grass hid all features of the dirt. There was a clearing in the prairie. The path Lilibeth had taken might have been smashed down by her feet running throughout the grass. Putting everything back into my pack, I carefully walked into the tall grass. There Leilani sat. She held up a knife in her right hand, while her left hand was clenched into a tight grip. She backed away from me. "I read your journal. How could you kill me Lilibeth?" Prominent tears welled in her eyes, escaping down the edges of her face. They sat in pools of water, signifying she was hurt. "I didn't mean for you to read that Leilani. Before I met you, I will admit, I wanted to kill you. Now things have changed. Feelings have migrated to a whole other horizon.", I stood still, depending on if you count my shaking. "How can I trust you?", Lilibeth says. "You just have to believe me. I know it's hard. Leilani, you are a sister to me. I could never kill you. You can keep the knife, it might come in handy.", I replied keeping my tears hidden beneath the mask. I really did love Leilani. I was so sad that she was hurt. I sat down with her, regaining Leilani's trust.