The Hobbit

*60 years later*

(Hey! This is the author! I know I've been writing a few stories that I don't pick up, so if you read those and want me to continue, that's good! Thanks!)

I wandered through the West Gate of Bree. I heard there as an inn here I could spend the night in. Was it The Prancing Pony? Yes I think it was. I turned human, So I wouldn't scare the locals. I put my hood on, hoping to discourage any conversations. I found the inn and entered, stomping my muddy boots on the mat. I walked over to the desk. A man was standing there, picking his nails with a knife. I cleared my throat. He looked up, annoyed.

"One room for the night please." I said. He nodded and tossed me a key off a hook on the wall. I slid a few coins over to him and sat down at a table. I noticed a wizened old man sitting by himself. Was that a staff? He wore his pointy hat, even though he was inside. He caught me staring, and I quickly turned away. Too late. He was walking over.

"Hello there young lass." His voice was soothing, and I looked up at him. "I am Gandalf, Gandalf the Grey. Care to hear a story?" He asked. I didn't want to be rude so I took my hood off, inviting him to sit.

"If you wouldn't mind sir." I said respectfully. He sat down and began his tale. It was about a mountain that was full of gold, ruled by dwarves. They had become greedy and a dragon took over the mountain, leaving the dwarves homeless. I sighed in sympathy for the poor folks. They had lost everything, just like me.

"Excuse me for asking sir, but is this story real?" I asked.

"Absolutely my dear. And I wish you to come and help the dwarves reclaim their homeland." I suppose it would be better than wandering aimlessly.

"Who is coming?" I asked.

"Thirteen dwarves, myself, and a hobbit." Gandalf said. I felt a change coming on. My hand began to grow furry and I quickly hid it before the old man could notice. He did. He grabbed my hand and looked at it.

"Are you a changeling my dear?" He asked. I nodded. "What is your name dear child?"

"Aephilia." I said. He nodded.

"Very well. It has been set. You will journey to Master Bilbo's tomorrow."

And that's how I got in this mess.