Chapter Two

David

Gillian met me out in front of the studio, dressed in a simple, white T shirt and light blue jeans. Her eyes lit up when she saw me. "Hey."
"Hey," I said back, waving. When we first met, I hadn't had any sexual feelings for her, but she'd only gotten hotter with age, and I'd been crushing on her since the initial X Files reboot back in 2015. I knew Gill would never fall for me though, so I'd always kept my feelings to myself. Today's makeout session had been heaven. Gillian had even seemed kind of into it.
"Where are we going?" Gillian asked.
I grinned. "It's a surprise."
Gillian raised her left eyebrow flirtatiously. "A surprise, hmm?"
I giggled and led her to my car, which was parked towards the front of the lot. I unlocked it and got into the driver's seat. Gillian slid into the passenger's seat next to me and closed the door.
I started the engine and started to back out of the space. "Are you excited to go back to England?"
Gillian sat silently for a moment, thinking. "Honestly, I'm feeling kind of torn. The more time I spend in America, the more I don't want to leave. But I really miss Piper and the boys."
I nodded understandingly. My own kids, West and Miller, were in New York, all the way across the country. Filming was wrapping up in two weeks though. It made me sad to think of how I wouldn't see Gillian for a long time when it was over.
I turned my right turn signal on and then pulled off of the hallway.
"Where are we going?" Gillian asked in her perfect American accent. When she'd first arrived five months ago, she'd had a hint of her British accent in her dialect, but it was gone now. It was amazing how she could so easily switch between the two.
"You'll see," I promised her, turning off of the main road and into the parking lot of an upscale, Italian restaurant.
Gillian gasped when she saw it, and I worried that it was too fancy and romantic. "We're eating here?"
"You've worked hard," I told her. "I'm going to miss you when you go back to London. I thought you deserved a nice night out."
A smile spread over Gillian's small, thin lips, illuminating the brown mole above them. She'd removed the concealer that the makeup artist for The X Files had piled on in an attempt to conceal it completely. "Sometimes I think you know me better than I know myself."
I pulled into a space in the lot and Gillian and I got out of the car and walked in together.
"Two?" the hostess asked when we got inside.
I nodded.
"Follow me." He led us to a quiet booth in the back and set down two menus.
Gillian slid onto one bench. I took the one across from her, noting for just a brief second how beautiful she looked in the dim light. Her wispy, blonde hair, her deep, grey-blue eyes, and that small, mesmerizing mole.
Gillian opened her menu and started to read it. I subtly watched as her eyes scanned the page.
"Hi!" a perky waitress dressed in a white blouse and red skirt suddenly interrupted my thoughts. "Can I get you two any drinks?"
"I'll just have water," Gillian said quickly.
"You sure?" I asked from across the table.
Gillian eyed me skeptically. "What are you up to, David?"
"We'll have the a bottle of the Bure red wine," I told the waitress.
She smiled, nodded, and then flitted away.
Gillian gave me a look. "David-"
"It's on me," I said, cutting her off. I liked to treat Gillian as much as I could without looking too suspicious. "But I know you could have afforded it anyway. Our paychecks are equal."
Gillian smiled at that remark. I had been so proud of her when she'd stood up to receiving half the pay I was getting and had supported her the whole way. If anything, Gillian deserved more money than I did; she had stuck with the show for all of its original nine seasons whereas I'd had the guts to sue Fox.
The waitress soon returned with the bottle of wine and two glasses. After she filled them up, Gillian and I clinked them together. "Cheers," we said in unison.
Gillian immediately downed her whole glass, making a puckered face as she set her glass back down on the table. "You're right, David. I did need that."
I took a small, gentlemanly sip. "I knew it alien baby baby mama."
Gillian laughed and punched me lightly in the arm. "Where did that come from?"
I shrugged. "Dana Scully may be part alien, but you, Gillian, are an alien baby baby mama."
"And what, I suppose Piper is my alien baby?"
I grinned back at her. "Damn right, girl."
The waitress came back to take our orders; salad for Gillian and flatbread for me.
Gillian sat back and sighed. "I'm really going to miss you David. Over these past few months we've gotten so close. It's like we picked up right where we left off way back in 2002..." She trailed off.
"I'm going to miss you too," I assured her, squeezing her left hand, which was lying across the table. "It's too bad we live so far away."
"Yeah," Gillian mumbled distantly. "It really is."
Snap! We were suddenly interrupted by the click of a camera and the bright light of the flash. Gillian and I instantly broke apart to see a man in his 30s standing above us, camera in hand. He looked down at the screen. "Yes! I got it! David and Gillian, in love," he hooted before walking away.
Gillian scowled at his back as he disappeared around the corner. I knew she hated paparazzi. I would too if I were her. They were bad to me, but with Gillian they were relentless. She was much more of a private person than I had been, and back in the 90s they used to crash into her car on purpose so she'd be forced to get out and discuss insurance and they would get a chance to snap a few pictures.
"I hate it when the paparazzi sneak up on me like that," Gillian said through clenched teeth.
"I know, Gill," I said comfortingly.
Gillian sighed and closed her eyes for a moment. "Sorry. It's been a long day."
I wanted to kiss her and tell her everything would be okay. Instead, we just sat together, talking lightly. Our food eventually came. We ate together, laughing and joking just like old times until I drove Gillian back to the studio so she could retrieve her car and we said goodnight.