Chapter 5

Disclaimer: I do not own any music featured on this book. This song, "I Thought We Were Lovers" is owned by InLoveWithAGhost.

*Play music*

The little girl finally got what she wanted.

She had fun every single day, each one growing more entertaining than the last. Everyone was overjoyed. Everyone had a similar desire in mind: to keep having fun together. Despite this newfound happiness, however, the girl craved this feeling more than ever- going as far as resisting the urge to sleep in order to absorb as much joy as she possibly could.

It was never enough.

It was true that all the townspeople had fun together, but the hours of overexertion and deprivation of sleep had begun to take its toll on them. Villagers fell ill, with some too exhausted to even sit up. The once lively parties had turned sullen and grim, then disappeared altogether.

The days turned miserable for the little girl as she locked herself in her little cottage on the hill. Her beautiful world had been corrupted.

"If only disease and illness did not exist..." The little girl sighed, worn from her predicament. "I wish that everyone could stay healthy forever!"

With this wish in mind, the little girl settled down in bed, falling into a deep, dreamless sleep for the first time in forever.

When she awoke, it was still dark outside, yet her body felt rejuvenated from her nap. From her bed, the little girl could see flashes of psychedelic light leaking into her room, accompanied by an earsplitting whistle and pop, each one briefly chasing away the silence and darkness.

She approached the window with curiosity, pulling back the pearlescent drapes adorning the frame and peering into the glowing night.

Above the town, fireworks streaked across the blackened sky, blooming into iridescent fire flowers, its petals stretching wide across the vast abyss before withering into a glimmering dust, like tiny little stars in the night.

The once drained townspeople had miraculously regained their vitality in a matter of hours. Even her own fatigue had vanished without a trace, leaving behind only the fizzing feeling of fortitude and stamina.

How was this possible?

The little girl thought and thought.

This world was hers, wasn't it? She had wished upon that fateful shooting star to be in a world where all her wishes and dreams came true. Whatever she desired, whatever she craved, it would happen just for her.

She smiled.

It seems the fun was only beginning.
________________________________

April awoke for the second time that day, dazed and confused. For a moment, she thought that she was in Mariam's [Shelter], as she was surrounded by the soothing color of pure white. This room was different, however. She was in a large rectangular room, with grey-ish stone walls, white beds lining each side. Each bed was separated by flowing white curtains, which seemed to dance with a light breeze circulating the room. Golden faded a unlight poured in from the elongated arched windows, and April could distinctly hear the chirping of birds in the distance.

She looked around and saw a small wooden nightstand next to her bed, where she lay, and on top of it, a tray. A foggy glass cloche covered a ceramic plate on the tray, which was piled with what looked to be sliced roasted ham, herb mashed potatoes, and a heaping pile of steamed broccoli. Next to the plate was a small folded note.