Chapter 17: Nosebleeds and Feelings

The grass whispered and murmured around you, the faint scent of wildflowers filling your nostrils. The warm rays of the sun pooled over your resting form as you dozed off.

You inhaled a deep breath and shut your eyes that were shaded by the canopy of leaves provided by the small oak tree, just a little walk from the Survey Corps base.

Being here felt like it was the first time you truly felt at peace. No people, no problems, no memories; just the soft rustling of the green leaves and the soft swaying grass that brushed against the patches of bare skin that showed.

Finding down time like this was near impossible due to the constant training schedules and chore work the short Corporal ordered each day. You never did like cleaning...

A strand of hair tickled your nose and you let out a puff of air in hope of getting the strand of (h/c) hair off you face, sighing in defeat when it refused to move. You pouted and sighed, it took too much effort to move it by hand. And plus, you were so comfortable..

A sudden crack of a stick as weight was placed on it yanked you from your stupor and in a blink of an eye you drew your knife. You sat up and searched for the cause of the sound, but saw nothing and rolled your eyes at yourself. You were just being paranoid again, it was probably just a squirrel or something...

"(F/n)?"

You screeched and jumped up, only to trip over your own foot and land in an ungraceful heap on the ground and drop your knife a few inches away. Your 'attacker' let out a little chuckle and walked over, his boots coming into view. Your (e/c) orbs flicked up and saw a smiling Eren above you.

You blushed and rolled into a sitting position, letting out an awkward cough. "Hey Eren."

"Sorry I scared you." The teal eyed boy hummed, bending down to grab your knife and take a seat next to you.

You shrugged and pulled your knees up to your chest and rested your chin on your kneecap. "It's fine."

Eren twirled your knife in his hands and brushed his thumb over the little engraving on the metal. "Little Kestrel. Does that mean anything? I've heard Thomas say it a lot."

You shrugged and gazed ahead of you, your eyes catching the sight of the castle and a few minuscule dots run around on the grounds. You sighed and picked at a loose string on your sleeve.

"It's a nickname."

"I know that," Eren scoffed. "But what for?"

You sucked in a breath and gave the boy a sideways glance before staring at your mud caked boots. It wasn't like you didn't want to tell Eren about your previous life, but it hurt and it scared you to the point of never wanting to bring it up. Yet, he was just asking about a nickname and you at least owed him the story behind it, there was no harm in telling him.

"Most of us don't have names outside the walls and it's an easy way to let go of who you actually are and become something different under a name that's temporary." You paused and tore up some grass before speaking again, refusing to meet Eren's eyes. "It depends where you live outside the walls, but where I was each of us earned a nickname after awhile."

"How did you get yours?"

You snorted as a ghost of a smile touched your lips. "I was the smallest out of everyone but I was the fastest."

"That makes sense." Eren hummed, handing back your knife with care. "I always thought Thomas called you that because you liked birds."

You chuckled and shook your head, sheathing your knife. You did like birds but not enough to actually name yourself after one.