Chapter 9: Assessments and Sparing

Start from the beginning

"Can I come down know? This is stupid." You groaned loudly, swinging back and forth slowly in the fake 3DGM wires, tearing Erwin away from his inner turmoil.

Erwin nodded and set you down gently, your quick fingers unhooking yourself with ease. You stepped away and twirled over to Thomas, a smug look plastered on your features.

"Kestrels aren't afraid of anything." You smirked at the grumbling boy.

"Yeah, whatever." He huffed, "You've been doing this since you were seven."

Erwin's mouth twitched into a frown, Seven years old?, he thought in surprise. No wonder you could pull off the feat of rescuing yourself and this boy. Erwin sighed, it was most likely because of that Anthony Tropianska man you had mentioned in the trial days before. He was even mentioned in a certain boy's file..

"Im not making fun of you for fucks sake, Thomas! You just suck because you've never really done this before!" You yelled at the boy who had a look of hurt in his thin eyes.

Erwin's ears picked up on your light bickering, the previous words you both had said slipped his mind. You sighed and scribbled something down on Thomas's performance file.

"Hmph."

You rolled your eyes and tugged on his sleeve. "Don't be such a Wren."

A small smile tugged on the corner of Thomas's lips at the stupid thing you came up with because of Wren's constant whining and moping. You missed her..

The sudden image of her broken body drifted to the front of your brain. Her dead, hollow brown eyes and the blood that dripped down her face, filling every crack and crevice. You visibly paled, catching the attention of the Commander and a worried Thomas at your abrupt change in demeanor.

You heard her screams. Her screams that called for help that you could of prevented. You could of killed that titan, you could of done so many different things to help, but you ran. Like you always did.

"(F/n)." Thomas said worriedly, placing his hands on your tense shoulders. Your eyes were wide with fear and your skin was drained of color.

The Commander approached hurriedly and bent down to your eye level. His lips were set in a deep frown at your frozen expression. He cupped a large hand against your clenched jaw in concern.

"(F/N)!" Thomas shouted, shaking you roughly. "(F/N)?!"

As Thomas shook you again your eyes blinked and darted around wildly for a moment before resting on the boy's concerned face. Erwin was there too, his cerulean pools scanning your face for some type of clue. You stared back, a strange warmth coming from the side of your face. You lifted you fingers up and brushed against warm skin, a small blush forming on your cheeks as you realized what it was. It was his hand. Erwin's hand.

The Commander cleared his throat and quickly took his hand away from your face and glanced away, his cheeks turning a subtle red that could be mistaken for exposure from the sun.

"(F/n)," Thomas breathed, "Are you okay?"

You nodded. You knew deep down you weren't, but you couldn't trouble Thomas. Your goal was to keep him safe and worry free, not add on extra burdens for him to carry. Especially yours, your problems were your own.

"Does she need a doctor?" A shrill voice piped up from the side, the brunette's catlike eyes looking over Thomas's shoulder curiously.

Embarrassed by your mild panic attack, you shook off Thomas's hands and turned on your heel, eager to leave the now awkward atmosphere. You brushed past Erwin, the slight tingle of where his hand had been moments before still lingered.