Chapter 35

A/N I have to apologise for the incredibly cringe-inducing chapter below...I'm sorry!

As they were getting ready to leave, Millie went up to Finn and Marina and gave them a tight hug and said "congratulations, you two look good together. I'm happy for you, Finn."

"Well," said Finn with a smile, looking over and gesturing towards Sadie, "I don't think you need me anymore."

Millie suddenly looked serious, "listen, thank you Finn...I don't think you'll ever know how grateful I am...you saved me."

"You know I love you Millie, and I'd do it for the rest of our lives if I had to...but I didn't save you, I just kept you alive until Sadie could."

Millie was taken aback, and just at that moment Sadie came and took her hand, "are you ready to go?"

"Errr, yes" she replied, suddenly feeling very flustered. Little did Finn realise the effect his words had had on her.

She sat next to Sadie the whole ride home feeling like a weight had been placed on her chest. "Are you ok? you're very quiet all of a sudden..." asked Sadie softly, "Millie, seriously, are you ok? you're kinda starting to worry me" whispered Sadie, concerned by Millie's apparent change in mood since the prom finished. She'd been quiet and withdrawn all the way home, belying the amazing time they'd had earlier.

She didn't reply at first, she couldn't get what Finn had said out of her mind, and was struggling to find the right words to say to Sadie. "It's ok, I'm fine" she managed, despite the storm raging inside.

Sadie wasn't buying it for a second, "don't bullshit me, Millie...don't do that to me."

Millie just looked down, unable to speak. Sadie realised that she was struggling with something, she had an idea what it might be, and not wanting to make her feel more uncomfortable, decided not to push any further. Instead she took Millie's hand, squeezing it gently, running her fingers over it to calm her down, and leaned close to her, "it's ok, I'm sorry." Millie looked up at her gratefully and gave her a small smile.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Earlier that week

"Millie?" said Kelly tentatively.

"Yes?"

"What's wrong? You've been so quiet recently...I know a lot has happened over the past few months, but is everything ok?"

Millie looked extremely uncomfortable, "I don't want to talk about it" she said, looking down.

"You don't want to talk about it...or you don't want to talk to me about it?" Kelly asked.

"I...it's just..." Millie closed her eyes tight, "I'm sorry mum, I can't."

"Ok" said Kelly, stoically, sitting opposite Millie and putting her hands flat on the table, "let's just pretend, for the next hour or so, I'm not your mum. We can talk about anything and it won't be weird, or awkward, and once we're done, we never have to speak about it or talk like this again."

Millie looked stunned, "o...okay...um..."

"Ok, well, it's obviously something to do with Sadie...last week you came back from her house looking, I don't know, awkward, upset...no, frustrated, and you haven't been there since" she elaborated in response to Millie's expression. Kelly searched Millie's face for any indication that she was going to say anything, instead she just had her head down and her arms wrapped around herself. "Hmm, so you're going to make me guess? I can do that...so, you've been going out a while now, spend all your time together..." All through this Millie was hoping to be swallowed up by her chair, but no more so when her mom said "have you slept with her yet?"