Anniversaries and Evil Fairies

A/N

This is my first fan fiction ever! 😋 This chapter might be a bit boring since its only the beginning but once things get into full swing, it should be more interesting.

Comment if you like it! Also comment if I'm getting any names wrong! I changed a lot of things so please don't comment if I got the story wrong. This story might seem confusing at first, if you haven't seen the show, but flashbacks will reveal everything. Hope you enjoy!

••••••

*Melissa's POV*

I was jolted awake by the piercing sound of my alarm clock. I pushed the covers away and jumped up from my warm bed. I immediately turned on the TV to hear the news even though I knew exactly what would be on the screen.

"Today is the anniversary of the Havenport tragedy." A news reporter said in a mind-numbing monotone. "On this day one year ago, the case of Joe Carroll and his cult of killers came to a close. Detectives Ryan Hardy and Melissa Washington chased Joe Carroll to a lake house in Havenport. In the cabin, for a reason still unknown, an explosion detonated, killing Carroll. His remains were found when local police arrived on the scene." I tuned out the recollection of the story I try to forget so desperately.

Only Ryan and I knew how the explosion happened. I was so mad and angry at how Joe had killed my best friend and many others close to us, I opened Ryan's jacket. I knew Ryan kept a grenade in there. I pulled the little clip and chucked it with all my strength at the lake house.

I can still remember Ryan's face when I looked back at him. First, it was surprise since I had practically torn his shirt off. Then, you could see the horror and relief in one single facial expression. Joe was dead.

Supposedly.

I know what Joe and his followers are capable of. They could easily find someone with a DNA match to Joe. A brother. Maybe. I still need proof to prove my theory.

The case controls me. Even though Ryan and I were suspended from the FBI, I still keep up with the leftovers. Finding the remainder of Joe's followers. Finding out how Joe could possibly be switched with someone to make it look like he died. It's supposed to be over, but it's not. Everyday, Joe and his followers are on my mind. When I teach, when I eat, when I sleep. Sometimes I think that I shouldn't have taken the case. It was ultimately my choice.

I walked into the kitchen, had my blood pressure pills and took a quick shower. Once my hair was dry and my makeup was done, I pulled on a pencil skirt and tucked in a button-up white shirt into it. I hastily found my black heels and put them on my freshly manicured feet.

Then, when I was about to open my front door to leave for work, I hear the door open across the hall and stopped in my tracks. I stood on my toes a little to see through the peephole. A pretty girl with thin, straight brown hair locked the door with her keys. Ryan's niece. It was nice that she's in his life now. His niece works in the FBI now. I wonder if Ryan is... No. I scold myself.

I assumed that since she was locking the door, Ryan had already left for the university. I waited until Ryan's niece was out of the building to open my door. Once I locked my many locks, I heard someone inside Ryan's apartment trying to open the door. Ryan. I quickly ran down the hall to avoid an extremely awkward situation.

"Melissa!" I heard him yell after me. I froze in my tracks. We haven't talked since...

*Melissa's POV - 6 months ago*

"Wow! Melissa? Hi! How are you?" Ryan yelled to me across the bar, obviously drunk. "When did you move to New York?" He strayed from the girls who were dancing with him to sit with me at the booth I was alone in.