CHAPTER 16

SIXTEEN: "It's really you!" ✍️

"D*MN my big bro! Zackarius is such a rude af!" Rhian cursed at her brother the next morning we got to be inside the L-Fitness Gym.

We are currently on stationary bicycles.

"Rhian, why do you curse your brother?" I sensitively but concerned, asked her.

"For almost a year, Behnam was one of the gym's coaches, but my ruthless brother Zack fired him today, treating him like trash."

I was shocked. What? Why? Why would Zack fire coach Behnam?

I couldn't say another word. He was such a heartless and cold person!

When Rhian got tired, we got out of the gym and walked around to get back on our way home.

While walking on the street, we suddenly bumped into someone I knew.

He is also wearing sporty attire which makes me think he is jogging, like us.

He didn't seem to notice me because he was busy chatting on his phone.

"Durand?" I was hesitant but still managed to call his attention.

When he first laid eyes on me, he gasped in surprise, but then he smiled widely and exclaimed, "Irryn!"

I smiled too. "Durand, it's really you!"

We walked closer to each other. Rhian was behind me and following me.

"Hi, Ryn! How are you?"

"I'm all fine. I didn't expect to see you here in Koronadal. How are you, too?"

"Just got to visit a relative. Before coming here, I had actually visited Caloocan, Poblacion. I anticipate staying for a week, but that is not a certainty. I, too, am doing well. What about you? Just what brings you to the Jawara Subdivision, anyway?"

"Because my stepfamily lives here, my mother and I have begun to reside here as well." I had a flash of memory and decided to introduce my stepsister to Durand. "Anyway, this is my stepsister—Rhian."

With glee and friendliness in her eyes, Rhian reached out to shake his hand. "Hi."

Durand's expression of amazement and wonder changed as he looked at my stepsister.

"So, you're a sister of Zack?" he asked coldly.

My mind flashed back to the time on the beach when Zack, Durand, and Yves were all tense with one another. In an instant, I, too, began to worry about Rhian.

When Durand stares at her, it's as if she were her ruthless brother. His gaze is cold and calculating.

Rhian just nodded, unpuzzled. "Yes. You know my big bro?"

"I know him. I also know how cruel he treats his stepsister." Durand stated dully.

Rhian is suddenly displeased with her current level of comfort. As far, he has not accepted her hanging hand.

As she bowed her head and slowly lowered her hand, he took it.

I could sense the tension between them as they shook hands; and Durand, without taking his eyes off my stepsister, looked sullen and angry.

It was only a whisper, but I overheard Durand say, "I didn't know that the full-of-himself Zack has, actually, a silly little sister."

Rhian didn't. "Pardon?"

"Nothing." He released his hand from Rhian.

He turned to me and smiled genuinely. "I am actually looking for a nearby fitness gym that I can go to for a week to maintain my fitness while I'm staying here. Mind to recommend me any?"