After all, it was my fault she was bawling like a baby.

"I can't believe I cried like that. How pathetic." She started, wine glass resting on the table as she traced the edge with a slender finger. Her eyes avoided mine, her cheeks reddening slightly at the memory. "I'm sorry about all that. Especially the investigation of Leon."

I reached over the table, holding her trembling fist in my own large one. She was feeling regretful and I knew it. Cathy looked up as she smiled crookedly, her distress obvious from the stiff expression on her face.

"It doesn't matter. I'm just sorry it had come to that. Leon's no threat, Cathy. I can assure you that." I explained, a small smile on my lips as I brought my other hand to cover her tin y fist across the table. "He's an old friend. My best friend, in fact. And I planned on introducing you when I knew and felt we were ready for it. You could say he's kind of like family to me."

She licked her lips quietly, her eyes downcast at my answer. I knew very well that it was a harsh answer. A little gentler than the last answer I had given her, but still cruel nonetheless. It was the truth, and I spoke the truth when dealing with lovers. 

They deserved it, of course.

"Oh. Is that so?" Her voice cracked a bit, faltering from the internal battle she had going on. "When do you think we'll be ready for that?"

I was silent at her question.

How was I supposed to answer something like that? No matter how truthful I was to my lovers, I could never be that cruel. I couldn't look at them in the eye and say 'never'. Not in a million years. But, she was hopeful. And I didn't want to destroy that.

"Excusez-moi, monsieur et madame. Le premier cours seront désormais servis." I looked up, thankful for the blank stare the waiter had greeted me with. His carton was sitting next to our table quietly, awaiting to be handled by him. Pulling back, I thanked the gods in heaven for such a coincidence. 

Honestly, I didn't want to break her heart a second time.

The lids of the meal was removed, the plates settled in front of us as the waiter moved with timed precision. His uncanny grace was astounding and it was enough to pull Catherine's attention from me. The smell was delicious, despite the tiny portions. 

Another reason why I despised fine dining.

"Veuillez profiter." The waiter bowed slightly, taking his cart of unopened meals to the other tables. 

"Merci." I thanked, carefully placing the red napkin across my lap. The silver utensils gleamed in the dim light, beckoning me to go ahead and use them.

I watched as Cathy looked down at her food, seemingly uninterested in one of her favorite dishes in the menu. This was bad. She was filled with grief and it was not looking good for me. Her depression, in spite of her calm face, leaked through the air and brought guilt to my already heavy chest.

An idea popped in my head. The prospect of it making me cringe at the dishonesty. But, desperate times called for desperate measures. And with Cathy, everything was riding on this one. I just hope I don't end up regretting this decision.

"Catherine, listen." I started, resting my knife and fork on my plate before looking up. Cathy raised her questioning gaze, her lips in a tight line as she waited for me to continue. 

I guess there was no other way. She refused to act normally, opting to act like a child throwing a sophisticated tantrum. This was unbecoming of a lady and I couldn't help but feel disappointed in her. I expected more from her, honestly.