Take a Load Off and Stay Awhile

Norine was stunned for a second.
There stood Bam with his hand outstretched. On her other side stood Matt looking like a kid who'd just had his lolly pop stolen.
Norine had to think fast. She didn't want to be rude to Bam, but she didn't want to offend Matt either.
"Sure Bam." She said with a smile, while slipping her arm through Matt's.
"Shall we?" She asked, looking at Matt.
Bam nodded and smiled a knowing smile. He led the way down a path that led away from Brown Town and into the woods. As they neared a clearing, Norine was surprised to see a beautiful house built amongst the trees.
One whole side of the house was almost all windows. A gabled roof peeked high up into the canopy of the forest. There was a beautiful porch that wrapped completely around the entire house.
"Welcome to my home." Bam said in his deep voice.
"This is amazing." Was all that Norine could say.

Matt's heart sank.
"Well, that's it." He said to himself in defeat. "There's no way I can compete with that."
Matt turned to walk off, but Norine grabbed him by the arm.
"Are we leaving now Matt?" She asked, smiling at him.
Matt's heart completely melted. He would do anything, build anything, go anywhere at all for this girl.
"I just thought that..."
"You thought wrong." Norine whispered into his ear.
Matt flashed a huge smile at her.
"Come on Norine Perry, I want ya to meet my Mama!"
Matt led Norine back down the path, leaving Bam standing in front of his huge house.
"Really?" Bam yelled after them. But there was no answer.

Norine met Matt's mother Ami. She was a delightful woman. She had a most warm and inviting disposition.
Norine loved it here. She really liked Matt and the entire family.
"You'll be staying for supper I hope?" Ami asked in her kind and gentile voice.
"Well, I..."
"Sure she will!" A voice said from the doorway.
Jayger and Gabe were walking into the house.
"Well thanks for answering for me!" Norine laughed.
"Any time friend!" Jayger said sitting beside Norine at the table. Gabe sat next to him.
"As a matter of fact, I don't see why you don't stay for a few days." Matt chimed in, "I mean, you don't have the resturant to hold you back."
"Well, you have a point there, but, I don't want to be a burden to anyone." Norine said.
Jayger shook his head, "Girl, hush your mouth. You are a breath of fresh air! We insist that you stay!"
"Norine's staying?!" Bird asked, excitedly as she and Rainy ran down the stairs.
"You can sleep in our room with us! We have an extra mattress and everything!" Rain said, almost giddy. It wasn't everyday that the Brown's had company stay over.
"Well, alright then. If you all want me, I'll stay." Norine accepted happily.
"We defiantly want you." Matt said, staring at Norine with a far away look in his eyes.
"Ooohhhhh!" Gabe and Jayger teased in unison, laughing as Matt blushed.
"We could be seeing some grand babies soon." Ami said smiling at Billy.
"Good Lord Am, they just met. Give it a little time." Billy said.
The whole room burst out laughing.
For the first time in quite a while, Norine felt happy. Like she belonged and was accepted.

"I can't believe she's gonna stay!" Matt thought to himself. "This is freakin awesome!"

Norine was treated to the best deer stew and hot biscuits with fresh churned butter that she'd ever eaten.
"Oh Mrs. Brown, that was better than anything that I could of ever made in culinary school!" Norine said sincerely.
"Oh my goodness! I thank you so much. If you're here for awhile, I'll share some recipes with you." Ami said with a sly grinn on her face.
She was hoping that Norine would stay long enough to fall in love with Matt. Then they could have her some grand babies!
It was a good plan, even though she never used recipes.
"Recipes?" Rainy asked confused, "Mom you never use any rec...." Rainy was cut short as Gabe stuffed a biscuit in her mouth.
"You look hungry Rain. Have a biscuit." He said with a smile.

After the kitchen was cleaned and the dishes washed,  Matt asked Norine if she wanted to go for a walk along the beach. She graciously accepted.

The air was cool and the twilight was so calming. Norine was glad that Matt had asked her to go for a walk. This place was beautiful. She took a deep breath and looked up at the sky.
"Beautiful ain't it?" Matt said, smiling at her.
"Yes, it is. Very beautiful." She said smiling up at him.
Without thinking, Matt bent down and gently kissed Norine on the cheek.
Matt quickly pulled back. "I'm sorry, I just..."
"It's okay." Norine said looking at the ground. "I didn't mind."
Matt smiled the biggest smile she'd ever seen. Her heart sped up a little when she felt his hand slip into hers.

"This is nice." He said as they walked back towards the main house.
"Yeah, it is." Norine said.
"Norine," Matt said, stopping and looking down at her. "I know we just met today, but I really like you alot."
Norine flushed.
"I mean, I can't offer you a house like Bam can and all, but..."
Norine put her finger to his lips.
"Let's just take it one day at a time Matt." She whispered.
Then she leaned in for a real kiss.