Sink or Swim

From where Norine and Matt were standing outside, Gabe and Jayger had heard the entire story.
Tears ran down Jayger's face.
"You know," Gabe said solemly, "it's stuff like that, that makes you realize what you have.
He leaned down and kissed Jayger lightly on the cheek. "I love you babe."
Jayger laid his head on Gabe's arm.
"I love you too."

Outside, Matt sliped his hand into Norine's. He'd just met her, but all he could think about was how much he wanted to protect her. He never wanted to let anything else hurt her.
"I'm sorry." Norine said, wiping away the tears with her other hand.
"No, don't be sorry. You need to let things out sometimes." Matt said.
"I know, but, I feel so silly. I mean I just met you and here I am pouring out my heart." Norine said, laughing through her tears.
In a whisper she added, "And I think the others can hear us."
"Of course we can." Came Bears voice from over head. Suddenly his smiling face appeared hanging over the side of the boat. He was on top of the Integrity.
"So what was in the box?" He asked, Norine, as she shook her head and smiled.
"It was a ring wasn't it?" Bear asked inthusiastically.
"Yes. It was. Sean had bought me a wedding ring. It must of taken him months to pay it off."  Norine said with a smile.
She felt as if a weight had lifted off of her. For the first time in a long time, Norine felt peace.
She looked at Matt. His blue eyes danced just like the water in the Bay. She felt as if she could tell him anything. She hadn't felt that way in a long time.
"I knew it!" Bear said, with a huge smile. Norine looked up, but he was gone.
"I wish that I had some words of wisdom to give you right now, but I don't." Matt said with all sincerity.
Norine smiled at him, "You listened Matt, and that's what I really needed. Back home, my family never listened. They were like, 'Suck it up and move on.' That's what pushed me to move here."
"Well. I'm glad ya did." Matt said.

Norine spent the rest of the trip talking with Matt and the rest of the family. She had longed to have a close relationship with her own family, but that never would be. They were not the compassionate type. Her family was the old Southern type that showed no emotions at all.
The final straw was when she'd had a conversation with her grandmother about Sean' s passing.
"Honey, I know you're sad. I was sad when your granddaddy died. But, you need to hush up about it and go on about your business. Everybody is tired of hearing it." She had said without any emotion at all.

Norine stood on the front deck with Bird as a beautiful beach apeared ahead of them. The mountains and the green trees were breath taking.
"That's it Norine.  That's Brown Town." Bird said with a grin.
"And that's what I call home." Matt's voice came from behind her.
"It's beautiful." Norine said.
"Well, we're glad to have ya." Gabe said smiling as he stepped up.
"Hey waite a minute." Matt said, stairing at Gabe with a concerned look on his face. "If you're here, then who's drivin tha boat?"
"Jayger is." Gabe said.
Matt's eyes got big.  "Gabe! You know how he drives! He'll. .."
At that moment, everyone heard a loud crunching noise and the entire boat shook.
"Oh shit! That wasn't supposed to happen!" Everyone heard Jayger say from the wheelhouse.
"Guys! We hit a log! A big log!" Bear yelled from up top.