Gig

"Why are you drumming with a couple of biros when you have a full size drum kit right next to you?" Whitey asked Vijay, leaning back on two legs of his chair having watched his band mate for the last few minutes tap out a beat on the side of a table.

Vijay looked down at his hands and seemed to notice the pens for the first time. Putting them down, he picked up his sticks and returned to his rhythm on the table's edge.

Whitey shook his head and looked around the room for something else to comment on.

"Where are you going tonight again?"Peanut asked, coming into the recording studio munching on a bag of crisps. Whitey put his hand out and was duly offered the bag. With complete disregard for the fact he had a mouth full of crisps, Whitey answered his question.

"The Library, seeing a band. They'll probably be shite." He continued to to finish his mouthful.

"Then why are you going?" Simon asked, punching away on his phone, checking his social media pages.

Whitey caught Ricky's eye, but looked away before answering. "Jane's away at her sister's and I've got fuck all else to do!" He began to yawn as he got to the end of his sentence.

"I might come along," Peanut said, sitting down behind his keyboard, turning different knobs as sounds emanated from the speakers making the others cover their ears and swear at him. Ricky watched for Whitey's reaction to Peanut's announcement. He'd simply screwed up his nose.

"Do what you like!" he answered, allowing his chair legs to slam back down on the floor.

"You coming Ricky?" Peanut asked, knowing Ricky wasn't intending to go home until the morning. Whitey paid more attention to this answer.

"I might do. I'll see if I can be arsed later." Ricky hadn't looked his way as he'd replied. If he had have done, he'd have seen the look of disdain on Whitey's face.

----------

Amy and Lizzy were trawling round the clothes shops in the Trinity Centre in Leeds. Lizzy held up a navy shift dress. "This would be amazing with your Louboutins," she said, holding it up against Amy. Amy frowned at her. "What?"

"Will you stop going on about those shoes!" she moaned, "I'm tired of hearing about them!"

"Well if you don't want them I'll take them off your hands!" Lizzy was quick to offer.

"I am not wearing them until I have spoken to Ricky. I'm sure he won't take them back, but at least I have to offer." Amy said, turning away and looking for her size in a top she'd just seen. Lizzy held the dress up against herself.

"Could I at least borrow them?" she asked looking down at the dress.

Amy shook her head, "No! What are you wearing tonight?" she asked, seeing the moody look her friend had on her face as she'd replaced the dress on the peg.

"I bought loads of stuff for my honeymoon. Joe said I didn't need to buy anything else." She saw the top Amy was looking at and picked one up too. "What he doesn't know won't hurt him though," she said wriggling her eyebrows. Amy giggled and put the top she was holding back.

"I'm only wearing jeans, I'm not getting all dressed up. I've got a few tops with me, but I'd rather something new." She picked up another top. "I am trying this one on!" she said with a strict warning to Lizzy, but then followed her anger with a smile. Giggling, they headed to the changing room.

----------

Whitey and Ricky had been left in the studio alone. The tension in the air could have been well and truly cut with a knife. Whitey was pretending to read a copy of the NME, Ricky was strumming away at an unplugged electric guitar. He was playing the same notes repeatedly and it was irritating Whitey. Throwing his magazine, Whitey stood up to go in search of a drink.