What Do You Want To Know?

"Well?" Ricky was lay on the sofa, Midsomer Murders, an early John Nettles episode, on the television.

Whitey slumped into an arm chair.

"Well what?" he replied, picking up a newspaper and turning to the sports pages.

The volume on the TV went to mute and Ricky sat up, leaning forward, elbows on knees, waiting.

Whitey folded the top of the newspaper down. "What ya looking at me like that for?" he asked already in a defensive mood.

Ricky clapped his hands. "What's the story? I come back from my jog to find two cars on two drives, both with their bumpers smashed in." He waited for a reply. One didn't come, "Then a few hours later, you wander down the road with a woman I've never met, carrying her shopping." Still nothing was said. Whitey had gone back to the paper. Ricky leant over and grabbed it away.

"What you doing? I was reading that!" he protested.

"Who is she then? You and Peanut have both met her," Ricky began.

"You've met her too, don't you remember." He snatched the paper back and went back to what he'd been reading.

"What was all that about last night?" Ricky wasn't ready to give up.

The corner of the paper was dropped again. "Why don't you pop round and ask her?" The corner returned.

Ricky sat back and huffed. His hand went to his chin and he played with the hairs of his beard. He couldn't help himself. "Is she living there alone then?"

"For fucks sake Ricky, what do you want to know?" Whitey threw the newspaper on to the floor and gave Ricky his full attention. Ricky just started at him.

"Why are you being funny about it?" Ricky sat back forward again.

"I'm not!" Whitey shrieked. "Why are you so interested?"

"I'm not!" Ricky protested. "She looked..."

"She looks like a woman who's been in London less than a day, been dumped by her boyfriend and bashed up her car!"

"She seemed happy enough," Ricky said after considering what he'd just heard. Whitey gazed at Ricky in disbelief. "How do you know all that?"

"I've spent the morning with her. She's a nice girl, woman, whatever." The newspaper was taken back and the conversation finished.

"You stopping here again tonight? I'm guessing you want your car checked out." Ricky had stood up deciding not to bother asking any more.

"If that's OK?" Whitey didn't bother to lift his eyes from the page.

"I'm going out, but you can stay. Have you told Jane you won't be home tonight?" There came no reply. "Andy?" Ricky had honestly thought he'd just not heard him.

"I'll ring her later. She won't be bothered anyway." Whitey suddenly stood up himself. "I better ring the insurance company." And with that, he left the room.

________

Amy had turned her phone on to ring her own insurance company. As soon as she had powered it up, the notifications came flooding in. Daniel had left a series of texts and she presumed the voice messages were from him too. The text from her parents was the only one Amy bothered to read.

Daniel has phoned here. Your dad gave him a piece of his mind. He did just want to know if you were safe though. Keep your chin up darling. Dad and I love you.

The idea of her father having a go at Daniel bought a smile to her face. Well he knew she was OK now so hopefully she was safe to leave her phone on for now at least.