Episode 1: Gift Wrapped Travel

Start from the beginning

His eyes widdened. "I've discovered something! I really have!" Shaking excitedly, the child smiled and dropped the hammer and papers. He felt the trunk to see if it really was a metal tree. His fingers found the edge of a cold door. Pulling the other side of it, the small door creaked with age. It mustve been made by a person, rather than a new kind of tree....

Still intrigued however, he reached in past the cobwebs and felt something. Lifting it out carefully, he looking over a book wrapped up in a thin red sheet. Beneath the sheet, the book was the same red shade and made out of leather, with golden edges made of metal on each corner. A glass eyepiece fell out while he unwrapped it. Turning it over, the cover had just as much tear as the rest, with only a mapping of the big dipper constellation marked with a "3" inside the scoop.

Ford opened the book slowly and felt the old looking pages. Who was the person that made this? It was filled with beautiful drawings and clean, crisp handwriting. He sat down in the grass and found himself lost in the stories of beasts and monsters, and the fact that they were said to live right in this very town. His excitment peaking, he flipped through and found half of it was empty, the last page that was written on a mess of ink stains and blotted out sentences, the only legible writings stating, '-I was wrong! Nobody is safe, everyone is possibly him in disguise! Keep your minds safe, keep your bodies pure! TRUST NO ONE'

"Hey!" He jumped and almost dropped the book. Stanley was coming up from behind him with no more papers, just a curious look in his eyes. "What'cha got there?"

"Well, uh, i-it's nothing," Ford stammered. Ley just laughed uneasily at his response.

"What? You really won't show me? I'm hurt!" Stanley sat down beside him. Ford calmed down and put the book back on his lap.

"Sorry... I... You just really startled me is all. This book... It's like some sort of journal that has all these great things, all of them in or around this town! Did you know there are gnomes, bigfoots, fairies, and things called 'Leprecorns' in these very woods?"

"Woooah... What's a Leprecorn?"

"Part Leprecaun, part Unicorn," he turned back to the page and held it up for Ley.

"I think we should go find it! Maybe Grauntie Mabel will listen to me finally about exploring and it will even help her business to find some of these things!" Ford said with a wide grin on.

"Well then, let's get goin' bro!" Ley jumped up with a hand out to help his brother up, too. "Where to, Captain Nerd?"

'Captain Nerd' giggled and looked in the chapter. "Let's see, we need to go this way first towards a river...."
_________

What a mistake.

Ford had been too focused on reading the directions and descriptions of the journal, that he hadn't been paying any attention to whether he was going the right way. He assumed Stanley was in the lead as usual, but he should've realized that he was the one leading this time.

"Why are we stopping?" Ley whispered. "Are we where the thing-a-corns are?"

He bit his lip. "I...don't think so...."

Ford turned to see him looking surprised. "Why not? Did ya read the instructions wrong? Maybe you should've let me read them."

He frowned and snapped back, "Maybe you should've asked and led then!"

This time, Ley actually looked hurt. But before he could respond, the ground started to shake to a small degree. The boys looked down at their feet and saw rocks moving little by little. It grew in intensity slightly but still remained very weak.