Episode 1: Gift Wrapped Travel

Summer Break. The words every student waits to hear from the beginning of the school year. The time for cookouts with family and seeing who can dive into the dirty pool better. The time when you come out of hiberation and sometimes actually do things with friends, or even just sitting in your own house waiting for the newest thing. A time where everyone wants to relax in peace.

Although there won't be much relaxing for Stanley and Stanford Pines here.

They had been sent out for the summer with their Great Aunt, or as she said to call her, 'Grauntie Mabel'. The kids didn't actually know her at all, but she did spoil them often with small gifts and anything she could afford to feed them if someone had a hankering for specifics. The downside to being there was that she asked them to help take care of the place they lived in, which was half house, half shoddy tourist trap. It was called The Mystery Shack, filled to the brim with fake 'beasts' and cheap gifts designed to take your money nefore you even stepped in the door. Of course, because Mabel was so kind and was extremely generous in her discount policies, even more people came and spent more money often.

Stanford wasn't having a great time, though. As nice as it was, everything felt normal and bland. Like everyday life, nothing interesting or weird happening. But everywhere he looked, something strange seemed to happen. Things such as, his latest theory being that the mailman, who was very hairy and never seen at night, and especially on full moons, was a werewolf. He was always interested in finding these sorts of creatures, and all sorts of weirder things. He loved to watch shows where people explored to small, lesser known places and would study or find some strange beast. So when twelve-year-old Ford heard they'd be going to this small, woodsy town for the summer, he imagined about a true exploration adventure with his twin brother, Stanley. Yet all they've done in the past week was sit in the Shack doing chores or watching tv. Even now, he was raking the pine needles and sticks outside.

"Grauntie Mabel, can I go back out to the forest now?" he asked, turning back to beg her with big eyes. "I'm finished with the raking."

She smiled down to him and ruffled his thick, brown hair. "Of course, Sweetie. But-" She reached into her bag and pulled out some fliers. "You'll need to do me a favor! Trust me, if I had the time I would do it. And take your brother with you, stay safe! And don't get lost!"

Ford tried not to groan, at least he could go. He was sure Stanley would agree and help him, too. He was very protective and caring towards him, even though he got into too much trouble with others. And while he would've wished he could handle things himself, Ford liked that he had Stanley to have his back.

He took the handfuls of papers around to the front of the Shack and looked around for the boy. He found him trying to burn ants with his new watch, unsuccessfully. "Ley! We have to go do a chore for Grauntie! We're going into the woods!" he called.

Ley leaped right up and sprinted over. "Are you sure we HAD to? Or is this another excuse to go to the forest?" He crossed his arms and smirked. Ford tried to keep a straight face and tipped his chin up slightly.

"No, we really have to! M told me to get this job done!... The forest is just a bonus?" he smiled awkwardly and shrugged.

Ley shrugged back and tore about half the stack of fliers out of his hands. "Alright, SURE. Let's get going then, poindexter!"

They split up and spent the next hour or so out amoungst the trees. Ford was disheartened that, again, nothing new was happening. He sighed and muttered to himself, "I guess there really is nothing new out here to find." Grabbing another paper from now-thin stack, he stopped by the next tree and held the flier up. When he hit the hammer against it, there was an echoing metalic clang rather than the usual "bonk" noise from the wood.