“Hi sweetie. How are you?” Lena asked as she readjusted the books and paperwork in her hands.

“I’m good.” I smiled as I swallowed hard. I glanced over at Jude who was looking down at his feet. “Hey buddy.” I reached out the hand that wasn’t holding Brandon’s and rubbed his shoulder. He backed away slowly, not looking up at all. Brandon’s thumb stroked along my hand softly as Jude stood their silently. “Hey Jude, maybe once I get some furniture, you could come over and hang out. Maybe have dinner over? All of you could?” I glanced over to Lena who was surprised.

“That would be nice. Thank you.” Lena smiled as she continued to walk to her office down the hall. Jude briefly glanced up to me before walking away silently, Connor following right behind.

“I knew it. He hates me.” I leaned up against the wall and pulled my hand away from Brandon’s.

“Callie, listen to me. He does not hate you. He never could and he never will. He just needs time. He’s pissed at me more than anything. When he comes over to your place in a few weeks he will open up some.” Brandon pulled me into his arms and rubbed my back softly. I sighed deeply not wanting Brandon to let go. “Timothy’s class starts soon. I’ll walk you to class if you want.”

I nodded. I got to start my day off with Talya. This is literally the day from hell already and I haven’t been in school for more than 20 minutes. Brandon grabbed ahold of my hand once again and we walked around the school to Timothy’s room. We stopped by the door and I leaned up against the wall.

“You’ll be fine, babe. After this, we’ll have algebra together.” Brandon’s fingers fiddled along with mine.

“Yes, but until then I have class with Talya and I can only imagine what she has to say to me.” I bit my lower lip as I glanced into the classroom to see Talya in direct view, pretending to read a book. I rolled my eyes as Brandon placed his hands on my hips. “I guess I’ll see you in algebra?” Brandon leaned in and kissed me softly before a teacher interrupted and reminded us that we needed to get to class.

“Timothy’s class will be over before you know it. Just ignore Talya. She’s not worth it.” Brandon kissed my cheek before sprinting in the other direction before the bell rang.

I glanced around the classroom, hoping to see a change in seating since the last time I was in class. Sadly, my seat was right where I left it, unoccupied, next to Talya. I walked to my seat, placed my books on my desk and avoided eye contact at all costs with anyone in the classroom.

“Ahh, Callie. Yes, welcome back.” Timothy smiled as he sat behind his desk waiting for the last few students to dart into the classroom. I nodded as I turned my face in the opposite direction of Talya’s.

“So, you and Brandon?” Talya questioned. I could feel her eyes glaring in my direction. I swallowed hard and Talya could tell. “Why so quiet, Callie? Something wrong?” Something was wrong.  I was within the same classroom right beside the one person that I didn’t want to be anywhere near. I don’t even want to be in the same 100 mile radius as the girl, let alone the same room.

The bell rang signaling the beginning of class. The last few kids ran to their seats and I avoided looking in Talya’s direction. There were whispers around the class and glances toward my direction throughout class. Teenagers are so obliviously obvious when it comes to talking behind someone’s back. I rolled my eyes as I kept my head down and low throughout the lesson. I watched the clock slowly move closer and closer to the next hour. I wanted to be out of this class and away from Talya. Even if my next class was with her, I at least have Brandon to get me through. He seems to be the only one getting me through anything nowadays.