"How did you end up here, in Port Royal? I would have expected to see you in a place like Tortuga." He eyed her body. She was wearing dark trousers tucked into her boots, a black bodice and, under it, a white blouse that showed her shoulders, which could have been considered inappropriate. Her clothes didn't fit in with what most women would wear in a town like that. She herself didn't fit in, she belonged to the sea. "This town doesn't suit you at all," he added.

"That's precisely the reason why I came. Nobody would look for me here. Soon after they left you on that island, I decided to leave the Pearl." Narissa stared down at her feet, remembering that sad day.

"You mean after you tricked me?" Jack asked, taking his eyes off her. His voice was filled with anger, disgust and... Hurt?

Shock flew through her eyes. "Listen, Jack, I-"

"It's 'captain' for you," Jack told her harshly, then lowered the tone of his voice, so the other prisoners wouldn't hear their conversation. "You don't remember? You seduced me, made me believe you loved me, so I'd be distracted when your bloody father mutinied against me." He walked away from her and sat again on the bench, facing the wall instead of her.

Her voice trembled when she tried to explain, shaking her head. "J-" She almost used his name, but corrected herself quickly. "Captain, that's not exactly what happened."

"Oh, really?" he asked sarcastically.

"You have to let me explain the rest of the story." She was struggling to keep her voice low.

"Listen, Narissa, the noose is waiting for me tomorrow, this could be my last night, so the last thing I want to do right now is listening to your lies," he told her dryly, refusing to look at her.

Defeated, Narissa didn't try to explain her side of the story any more. Jack would be hung in a matter of hours, so there was no use in trying to convince him to forgive her, and it looked like he wouldn't listen anyway. She felt hurt. She was sure that he hated her and he had reasons to.

She was pulled from her own thoughts when she got tired of the prisoners yelling at her. She turned her head to their cell and glared at them angrily, disgusted. Her sweet expression changed drastically into a dangerous one and, with a harsh dangerous voice, she said "I swear if you all don't shut up, I will shoot your tongues and cut out your cocks, or shoot your cocks and cut out your tongues. Or both things!" Her tone wasn't loud; in fact, it sounded calm, yet threatening, but they all immediately closed their mouths, scared of her.

Narissa turned to the pirate, who was smirking. "You still frighten men like a hurricane."

She smiled proudly at his words. A worrying thought crossed her mind. "Captain..." Her voice was weak again. "Were you going to shoot me? This morning, at the blacksmith's, were you really going to kill me?"

He stayed silent for a minute or two as she waited patiently for his reply. She needed an answer. It would break her heart to hear him say yes, but she needed to know. The sound of Jack cocking his pistol against her head was still ringing in her head.

"No," he finally replied simply. When he turned his head and saw her restraining a smile of relief, his eyes and voice softened. "I would never hurt you, Nari."

Before she could tell him anything, the deafening sound of cannon fire reached their ears. In a second, Jack stood up. "I know those guns," he said looking out of a little window of his cell. "It's the Pearl."

Narissa saw the spark in his eyes as he stared at his beloved ship, she recognised the longing in his voice and she felt guilty that he had been separated from the thing he loved most. She realised then that, if the Pearl was there, so was her father. He couldn't find her, he'd take her back to the crew and she refused to work alongside those monsters.