003 DEL

They were fifteen, reckless and flirting with life.

RJ, in his usual geeky glasses and lazy smile, effortlessly dashing in his sleek black suit and tux. Maine, graceful and lovely in a strapless satin dress in faded rose-pink hue, the chocolate-brown curls of her hair grazing the caramel skin of her bare shoulders.

The evening smelled of myriad perfumes, illegally-acquired liquor, awkward kisses, assorted underage fears and liberty.

Prom Night: the night RJ wanted the two of them to be officially in a relationship after hovering in each other's orbits for almost a year now.

Like everything else in his life, he had methodically and meticulously planned what he was about to do for this moment, but all it took was one unexpected mishap and all of his plans went down the drain.

His heart broke in both frustration and pity as he watched Maine squirm in her seat, biting her lip as she sadly gazed on the flickering lights and the pulsating crowd of their classmates going wild on the dance floor. Maine placed a hand on her lower abdomen and looked at RJ apologetically.

"I'm the worst date ever, aren't I?" She tried to laugh.

"You have the worst dysmennorhea with the worst timing ever." He smiled.

"Sorry, ang boring ko."

"Hey, but you're still the best and only girl I want to date."

"You should at least dance with someone though. Anyone. Matagal pa yata yung slow dance eh. Sorry hindi ko pa kaya ngayon eh, puro fast songs,"

As if on cue, Kesha's 'Crazy Kids' blared on full volume and a collective delighted shriek emanated from their half-intoxicated schoolmates.

An idea popped in RJ's mind and he smiled as he whispered it on Maine's ear.

A minute later, they made their way to the dance floor, clutching their cellphones, music shuffle on ready, their earphones plugged. RJ tenderly held Maine's waist and inhaled her exquisite scent as he pulled her closer to him.

He was listening to Ed Sheeran. She was listening to Coldplay.

Their bodies were swaying in one united heartbeat.

A quiet and calm lullaby in the midst of the techno-grunge tornado surrounding them on all sides.

After three songs, Maine clung on RJ's neck and leaned towards him for support.

"RJ, sobrang sakit na..."

"Tara, upo na tayo?"

"Can you...can you take me to the restroom?"

"Let's go."

They limped towards the ladies' room but just when RJ thought that Maine was going to let go of his hand, she pulled him in with her inside until they were locked in the confined space of the farthest cubicle.

"Maine, bakit..."

"I'm scared I'm gonna pass out from the pain...sorry...ang sakit talaga..."

"We should'nt have come tonight, sorry, Maine. Dapat nagpahinga ka na lang."

"I don't regret it, RJ. I'm still glad that I came here tonight."

"Thank you for being here with me."

They sat on the cold marble floor of the hotel restroom and clung to each other's arms as their eyes locked in an intense gaze.

"Are you feeling triggered?" Maine asked him worriedly, aware of how RJ might find this situation suffocating and wrong.