Memories

>>Present<<

Monday

Evie POV

I was still at Lonnie's room. I thought about skipping classes, if not, that would meant coming across with Mal. The truth was that I missed her so much, but I was still so hurt. I decided to go, not because of Mal (well, at least she wasn't the main reason), but because of the Chemistry class, it was my favorite. 

Mal was aldready sitting on her seat, which obviously was the one next to mine. I sat there without even looking at her direction.

'Hi!,' she smiled at me, she looked kind of surprise that I attented to class. I said hi back. 

'Should I see it as a sign that you still sit next to me?,' she asked.

'What? This is my place, I'm used to it. Don't feel like you are important,' I answered, I didn't mean to sound so angry, it just came out that way.

'Oh... I'm, I'm not important... I get it, sorry, you're right,' after she said this, she faced the board. I could tell she was about to cry, but she did her best to avoid it.

Carlos and Jay entered together to the classroom and sat on their respective seats behind us. They couldn't believe we were sitting next to each other. 

'So? Are you back?,' asked Jay. I gave him a wicked look and switch my eyes' direction. I could see that Mal was staring at the floor. 'Oh, sorry, nevermind. Have you done the homework?.'

'Omg! I completely forgot about that!' I said. I never forgot to do Chemistry homework, it was the only subject I liked. I was so busy with the turmoil inside my head.

'I did it,' Mal said, 'As I had nothing to do with Jane yesterday, I did all the homeworks. Not that I enjoyed it, so take advantage of that now because I don't know if it's going to happen again.' Carlos and Jay were amazed, and so was I. 

'Students!, today I will ask some of you to come to the front to write the solutions of the homework. Let's see... Evie! You, and...' she kept naming some other students, non of them were Mal, Jay or Carlos. Before I stood up, Mal offered me her the piece of paper with the homework.

'Here! In case you need it,' she was trying to be nice.

'No, thanks, I can do them by myself', and in fact I could. Another thing in which I didn't plan to sound so resentful at her, words just came out, I wasn't even thinking on them. I did the solutions on the board, at first it was complicated as I was thinking about Mal, but I tried hard to focus on the problems. I returned to my seat, we corrected the exercises, and in the blink of an eye, the class was over. As we were getting out of the classroom, I approached to her. 

'Thanks for wanting to lend me you homework, I'm sorry for having answered you like that,' I said, but I didn't gave her time to answer, as I started waking as soon as I finished with my apologise.

'Hey, Evie!' I heard her calling me. 'Please, you don't have to apologise for anything, it's me who has. I understand why you are acting like this, I've hurt you, I deserve it,' she said. But she went away, as if she didn't want an answer to that.

Mal POV

Well, that was something! I was starting to feel sick after all those rejections she did to me until she finally came to apologise. I know that was a sign, I could feel it. Carlos was right about us couldn't live without each other. I missed her, and she missed me too.  I was a litte happier after that conversation, so when I went to the boys' room they asked why I was smiling.

'She apologised for having treated me like that. I know she still loves me, at least deep down, at the bottom of her heart', I said.

'Of course she does! You can't stop loving your best friend just like that, no matter what they have done to you,' said Jay. Carlos and Jay have never argued before, they did fight and joke about every little difference they had,  but never in a serious way. Maybe that was the problem with Evie and me, we became dependent on the other. We went everywhere together, watched movies and series together, went to class together, EVERYTHING together. Of course I was going to miss her the moment we got apart. 

I went to my room hoping she had changed her mind and came back. But no, everything was still the same. Maybe I was having illusions and perhaps it meant nothing for her. I looked for one my favorite books on the bookshelf and opened it. A paper fell down from it.

Evie drew it for me when we were 6 years old because I wasn't invited to her birthday that year, and I remember being so angry at her for that

Evie drew it for me when we were 6 years old because I wasn't invited to her birthday that year, and I remember being so angry at her for that. But it turned out, and I found out like 3 years later, that it was my mother who had burnt the invitation card. She hated the Evil Queen, so she didn't want me to hang out with Evie. Well, with nobody, to be precisely. Evie thought it was all her fault, so one day when I was on my way to school, she got closer and gave me that drawing. Despite being angry at her, I never threw it away. I'm glad I didn't.