Chapter 20 - Rania

After what I'd just told Will, dinner should have been an awkward affair, but when traffic started moving again, he turned on the radio, fiddled with the buttons until he found a station playing rock, and didn't press me with further questions

After what I'd just told Will, dinner should have been an awkward affair, but when traffic started moving again, he turned on the radio, fiddled with the buttons until he found a station playing rock, and didn't press me with further questions. But he did leave one hand resting on my leg. I'd never studied his hands before, but as we passed under the street lights, I took in his long, nimble fingers and soft, unblemished skin. Elegant hands. A surgeon's hands, not unlike my father's. I curled my fingers around Will's and glanced across at his face. He was smiling.

By the time we got home, my heart had stopped trying to escape from my ribcage, and as we walked through my front door, the delicious aroma of Shannon's lasagne brought my appetite back. She swore it was her grandma's special recipe, but as her grandma came from County Kildare the same as she did and not Italy, I suspected it might have come from a cookbook.

And while we ate, I somehow managed to have a reasonably normal conversation about the merits of cats versus dogs followed by a debate on the usage of solar power. Wonderful in principle, but England needed some sun before it would be a viable option.

How could Will act so normal?

Inside, I was a goofy mess.

And when Shannon headed off to her room, leaving me alone with Will and a whole lot of nervous anticipation, he stepped closer and wrapped his arms around my waist. Not with his body pressed against me or anything, but just...nice.

"Are you okay?" he asked. "After earlier, I mean."

"Yes. No. I think so. Most of that stuff, I've never told to anyone."

"And I'm honoured that you trusted me with it." He leaned forward so his forehead rested against mine. "And though I'd love to stay here with you all night, I meant what I said. I'm in this long-term, and I'm not going to push you."

Those words only made me want to push myself. But not tonight. Tonight, I needed to think.

Will shifted, running his thumbs up my back in a barely there caress before pressing his lips to my cheek. Not a quick peck like he gave Shannon, but a lingering touch that set my skin aflame. I nearly, so nearly, turned to offer him my own lips, but I couldn't. Not yet.

"I'm not sure I'll be back at a sensible time tomorrow, but RJ's going to pick you up," he said. "And I'll message you, so you'd better get thinking up some answers."

"I'll see you on Wednesday?"

"Nothing could keep me away. Dinner again?"

"Yes. I'd like that."

"I don't know where Shannon gets all her energy from—working early, looking after a kid, then cooking in the evening."

"She usually grinds to a halt by the weekend and sleeps for most of it. I get Aisling duty." Last weekend had been the exception.