Chapter 13 - Rania

Even though Will had helped me with the cleaning, I still felt drained as I climbed into his car after work

Even though Will had helped me with the cleaning, I still felt drained as I climbed into his car after work. Although I'd never admit it to him, I was glad I didn't have to trek to the bus stop, especially since it was raining again. Yet another thing I missed about home—the long, hot summers followed by moderate winters where I didn't need to wrap up like a mummy every time I stepped outside. The novelty of everything being grey wore off years ago.

"What are your thoughts on Arthur?" Will asked. "Reckon he's telling the truth?"

"Yes, I think so. He didn't act shifty when he answered, and when you mentioned the stolen money, he looked shocked at first, then he got really angry. And more than that...it was like everything slotted into place for him. I've been talking to him since I started at Weston Corp, and until today, he's always wondered why somebody would want to kill him."

"His wife said he'd been secretive before he died. He had an argument with a neighbour too."

"Arthur's never mentioned that. I can ask him tomorrow if nobody's around."

"I really appreciate you helping like this."

What was I supposed to say to that? Custom said I should be polite, as was the British way, with a "no problem" or a "don't mention it." But I wasn't feeling very charitable towards Britain at the moment.

"I just want this whole affair to be over."

"Hmm... An affair. Do you reckon Arthur could have been having an affair?"

I choked a little. Arthur? "I don't think he's the type. His idea of a dirty weekend was probably doing the gardening."

That got a laugh out of Will, and a grin. I'd missed those grins.

"You want to pick up something to eat on the way back?"

"Shannon always cooks in the evenings. How about you? Is somebody cooking for you?"

I still knew next to nothing about Will. For all his flirting and inappropriate comments, he could have a girlfriend waiting for him at home. Lucky cow. No, Rania. Not lucky. Obviously very patient to put up with Will and his bossiness.

"I'm not great at cooking," he admitted. "And neither is my housemate. We usually live on takeout."

"Your housemate?"

"RJ. We went to boarding school together."

"I thought that in this country only the posh went to boarding school."

"Now who's being judgemental?"

"Sorry." After the number of times I'd grown upset about people judging me, I should have known better.

"You don't think I'm posh? I suppose I should take that as a compliment."

"Of course not. I mean, you're not, are you?"