Chapter 1

"Your young highness, please pay attention," the tutor scolded. "And sit up! If you are to be future king, you must learn to be proper!"

Number 96 Black Mist fiddled with his headdress, which had a number 96 on it, and stopped his daydream. He looked with bored eyes at his tutor.

"Young highness, you need to pay close attention if you wish to lead in this war."

Black Mist then started fiddling with one of his golden armletts, which were only worn by the royal family along with the anklets that spiraled from the top of his feet up to mid calf. "It's not like I'll be leading this war any time soon," he mumbled. "Father won't die, I know." He then played with the grey cloak, which was hanging behind his chair, that covered his body. The cloak was adorned with golden trim and a golden clasp. Only those at the palace, including the servants and his nurse maid, could see him without the cloak.

The tutor sighed. "Yes, but this information will help you should you be leading your own war some day when you become king."

Black Mist sighed and rested his head in his right hand. "Okay, okay. I'll pay attention if it makes you feel better."

The tutor nodded and continued the lesson on war. Black Mist sighed and waited for the lesson to end.

When the lesson was done, Black Mist grabbed his cloak, got up, and left the room without being dismissed, which upset his tutor greatly. He retreated to his room. He placed his cloak on a hook and flopped onto his bed. The door opened, and Number 83 Galaxy Queen, his betrothed, entered. She was purple with a darker shaded dress with red gems on the shoulders and a red line down her cheek. She had dark red hair and pale blue eyes.

"Good afternoon, Black Mist," she greeted, entering the room.

"Good afternoon, Galaxy Queen," he greeted back. He sat up. "How have you been?"

"Fine." She sat next to him. "Your father returned."

Black Mist grinned. "How did the battle go?"

"Victory as usual." Galaxy Queen smiled. "Come on."

Black Mist pulled on his cloak, pulled up the hood, and went outside with Galaxy Queen. He was just in time to watch as his proud father and king rode victoriously on one of the darklings, the steed of the Numbers. They were like dragons, but they were smaller, less graceful, and black in color. Nevertheless, they were deadly. King Kuro waved at the cheering crowd and spotted his son among them. He waved to his son, and Black Mist grinned under his hood.

"How was your lesson, Black Mist?" Kuro asked when they entered the palace, where Black Mist lowered his hood.

"Same same," he said with a shrug. He pulled off his cloak and one of the servants took it to place it on the hook in his room. "I still don't get why I have to take those lessons. It's not like I'll lead the war."

Kuro chuckled. "Maybe, but when you take my place as king, you will use that knowledge should you get into a war like this one."

"That's exactly what the tutor said, you know that?"

Kuro chuckled again. "I know. Come, let us see how your mother is faring."

They went to the queen's chamber, but when they got there, some of the greatest magicians (Gagaga Magician, Dark Magician, etc) were in the chamber. This alarmed the king and prince.

"Out of the way!" Kuro shouted, barging through to get to Mikasa. He got to his queen. "Mikasa, dearest, are you alright?"

"Do not worry, my liege," Dark Magician said. "She merely forgot to take her medication." He brought up a bag of herbs. "This will help keep her illness at bay for a while."

"We have yet to see if it is curable, Sire," Gagaga Magician added. "My apprentice and I are still working on it."

Kuro sighed. "Please, if you find anything at all, contact me."

The Silent Magician nodded, but he didn't talk, as his name implied. They left the palace, bowing to the prince as they left.

"Father, when is Mother going to get better?" Black Mist asked.

Galaxy Queen stood beside her betrothed. "My king, if I may ask, what is the queen's condition?"

"We don't even know that," Kuro said. "The answer to both of your questions is 'I don't know'."