16 | surprise, sam uley

Start from the beginning

Wha–What? What do you mean, Eva?

She cringed, clenching her hands to fists.  I'm working there, Sam.

His heart dropped just as how the atmosphere between them did, he bit his lip as he placed the velvet box into his pocket once more. Smiling down the bitterness, he nodded.

And all the thoughts of a diamond ring was pushed back to his mind.

1st POVPRESENT

❝ So, is that the last one? ❞ A friend of mine asked, I looked around trying to check if something was left out, also capturing last memories with my apartment here in Phoenix. I dug through my bag to see the necessities I needed. I sighed out and nodded, looking back at her with a sad smile.

She gave me one too, walking over as she opened her arms and I willingly hugged her back. Tears were already brimming,  ❝ Oh honey, Eva, this ain't gon' be the last time we're seein' each other. Cheer up, girl, I'll come to Forks from time to time if it makes you happy. ❞

I withdrew myself as I nodded, smiling wide as I held her hands.  ❝ Thank you, Harper. I'm going to miss you, We'll see each other soon, yeah?  ❞

❝ Definitely, now off we go! We don't want you to be late, now do we? ❞

The whole ride from my apartment complex to the Airport did took awhile, I cherished the counting minutes with the talks Harper and I indulged ourselves with. I also took my time looking around, trying to capture the moments I sure will be missing here in Phoenix. In spite of the Heat, I will always love what had been my home for two years.

But even though I will miss Phoenix and the people I have met, I am also aching to see my family and especially my mate– Sam. Yes, an Alpha of a pack and though that might sound terrifying, I've been way past those days in which I felt like crawling towards a psychiatric ward hoping to find out if I am sane or not.

❝ Hey honey, we're here. ❞ Harper said, parking her car near the entry way as one of the helpers of the Airport already took a luggage trolley for my baggage. I inhaled as I looked back at her, smiling in bitterness.

❝ Oh come on now, don't pull that teary–eye trick on me, Eva! Or I might be forced to tell your pretty–ass of a mate that you'll be staying for another year so you could help me out with the restaurant. ❞ I chuckled as I shook my head, leaning over as I gave her a parting hug. With a kiss on her cheek, I managed to get out of her car gracefully without sobbing like a baby.