A Journey in the Dark

Start from the beginning

"He'd follow Mr. Frodo into a dragon's den, if I led him," protested Sam. "It'd be nothing short of murder to turn him loose with all these wolves about."

"It will be short of murder, I hope," said Gandalf.

"Then your hope is well placed," said Kitty confidently. "... Tell 'em, Devin." She remembered things ending very well for old Bill, though she couldn't recall any details at the moment.

"You've forgotten a part of the story again, haven't you?" said Devin wryly with a shake of her head. "Believe it or not, Sam, parting with Bill here is the best thing you can do for him. We are the ones being hunted. Once he is no longer with us, the enemy will overlook him, and he will be able to safely make his way all the way back to Bree unscathed. Unlike the rest of us, he will be spared the hardships and dangers that will yet befall us before our journey ends..." Here she paused for a moment with a shadow of fear and sadness in her eyes, but she quickly shook herself and recovered the small smile that had fallen from her lips. "But perhaps you would feel better if you knew he went forth under the protection of a special blessing, if Gandalf would be so kind?"

"I would, and gladly," said Gandalf. He laid his hand on the pony's head, and spoke in a low voice. "Go with words of guard and guiding on you," he said. "You are a wise beast, and have learned much in Rivendell. Make your ways to places where you can find grass, and so come in time to Elrond's house, or Bree, or wherever you wish to go."

"There, Sam!" Kitty said brightly once the Wizard had finished. "He'll have just as a good a chance of escaping the wolves and getting home as we have, maybe even better."

Sam stood sullenly by the pony and returned no answer. Despite all their reassurances, he couldn't help but worry, and was still reluctant to part with his faithful friend. Bill, seeming to understand well what was going on, nuzzled up to him, putting his nose to Sam's ear. Sam burst into tears, and fumbled with the straps, unlading all the pony's packs and throwing them on the ground. The others sorted out the goods, making a pile of all that could be left behind, and dividing up the rest.

When this was done they turned to watch Gandalf. He appeared to have done nothing. He was standing between the two trees gazing at the blank wall of the cliff, as if he would bore a hole into it with his eyes. Gimli was wandering about, tapping the stone here and there with his axe. Legolas was pressed against the rock, as if listening.

"Well, here we are and all ready," said Merry; "but where are the Doors? I can't see any sign of them."

"Dwarf doors are not made to be seen when shut," said Gimli.

"Yes, they are invisible; and their own masters cannot find them, or open them, if their secrets are forgotten," said Gandalf.

"Why does that not surprise me?" said Legolas dryly. Kitty raised an eyebrow and smiled wryly as she shared a look with Devin. Someone was feeling spicy tonight.

"But this Door was not made to be a secret known only to the Dwarves," Devin reminded them. "Eyes that know what to look for may discover the signs, with a little help from the moonlight."

Gandalf seemed to understand her meaning, for the wizard suddenly came to life and turned round. He walked forward to the wall. Right between the shadow of the trees there was a smooth space, and over this he passed his hands to and fro, muttering words under his breath. Then he stepped back.

"Look!" he said. "Can you see anything now?"

The Moon now shone upon the grey face of the rock; but they could see nothing else for a while. Then slowly on the surface, where the wizard's hands had passed, faint lines appeared, like slender veins of silver running in the stone. At first they were no more than pale gossamer-threads, so fine that they only twinkled fitfully where the Moon caught them, but steadily they grew broader and clearer, until their design could be guessed.